Wednesday, February 19, 2020

New Music?

Shoutout Vivienne and Dr. H for requesting a Spotify playlist, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm going to try to make it collaborative so we can all add our favs. Maybe comment below ideas for the title of it?For now, it will remain "gwst." I will be using Spotify, so feel free ladies to spread it to other platforms with your own creations.  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Fr4R0wowxohGzJVcXJc0J?si=D9L1B3EmSc6SbhjgyZNWgQ 

I'd like to introduce you all to a few unknown artists. Flash back to our first day of class where we were all discussing our music tastes...Remember now? As I recall, a lot of responses were similar. For example, "I'm open to new things," "I'm not picky," and "I like a variety of genres." Remember this: some of this music is loud, punky, and downright screams "GIRL POWER." So don't forget your pledge of open-mindedness. Are you with me? Yeah!!

I hope what I can do for you all is show you a new genre that provides a space from feminist discourse. I'll list a few examples below and explain their importance, very similar to Vivienne's blog. What I hope to do is present some songs that resonate with me and my perspectives on what feminism is, and can do. My particular vibe here is punk rock, gritty, expressive, and overall loud. Sometimes I think as women we can all use a little more of that! In my attempt to teach myself to play the bass guitar, I've used these songs to inspire my inner rock rebel.

1. "Rebel Girl" by Bikini Kill- This all-girl band from the 1990's produced an anthem that uses the "rebel" nature of punk rock that contradicts common tropes of pure, heterosexual pop music. It represents feminist solidarity in its lyricism by rejecting gossipy harpings, and advocating for positive reinforcement. The song gives voice to a lesbian woman who is not trying to disguise her sexuality. I really enjoy how it seems to play along with that gossipy trope, and end that verse as the chorus roars with raw power:

That girl thinks she's the queen of the neighborhood
She's got the hottest trike in town
That girl, she holds her head up so high
I think I wanna be her best friend, yeah

Rebel girl, rebel girl
Rebel girl you are the queen of my world
Rebel girl, rebel girl
I think I wanna take you home
I wanna try on your clothes, uh

When she talks, I hear the revolution
In her hips, there's revolution
When she walks, the revolution's coming
In her kiss, I taste the revolution

2. "Just a Girl" by No Doubt- I thought I'd in this one here because its a crowd pleaser and all time favorite. I could have just as easily put "Hollaback Girl" here. Yes, I know all the lyrics and sing them loudly in the car to myself, even sometimes while making direct eye contact to the construction worker holding a stop sign. While this is a catchy classic featuring Gwen Stefani's smoky alto and some new wave guitar riffs, it is a nod to the helpless female stereotype. A sustained sarcasm to patronizing patriarchal behavior is an attempt to rebuke the portrayal. Gwen is not your typical prototype!

Take this pink ribbon off my eyes
I'm exposed
And it's no big surprise
Don't you think I know
Exactly where I stand
This world is forcing me
To hold your hand
'Cause I'm just a girl, little ol' me
Well don't let me out of your sight
Oh, I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
So don't let me have any rights
Oh, I've had it up to here!

3. "Nameless, Faceless" by Courtney Barnett- This song takes on male chauvinism and female fears. Her clever lyrics paired with a grungy tone, make this a powerful anthem. Taking on misogyny is tough, let me tell you, but Courtney uses her unique turns of phrase, using humor to reject internet trolls and creepy men in the park. In conversation with that, she confronts a common attitude among women when going anywhere alone. I too, hold my keys between my fingers when I'm walking to my car late at night. Can you relate? 

Don't you have anything better to do
I wish that someone could hug you
Must be lonely
Being angry, feeling over-looked
You sit alone at home in the darkness
With all the pent-up rage that you harness
I'm real sorry
'Bout whatever happened to you
I wanna walk through the park in the dark
Men are scared that women will laugh at them
I wanna walk through the park in the dark
Women are scared that men will kill them
I hold my keys
Between my fingers

I could go on and describe each songs worthiness for the playlist, but I think the best thing we can do is grow it together, and tend to it like our little feminism garden. Picture it with me if you will. 

A few more of my favorites are "Men Explain Things to Me" by Tacocat, (that title explains itself,) and "Tummy Ache" by Diet Cig. However, if I should make a request, may it be that you enjoy yourself in the process, and do not think twice about its relevance. What strikes you, connects with you, or resonates with any of the emotions, trust me it is important! Even if it is one of those "I can sing this at the top of my lungs, want to see me try?" DO IT!

7 comments:

  1. Kelsey, Thank you for making the playlist, I think it is going to turn out really cool with all the different personalities we have in class! I also really appreciate the song recommendations, I had never listened to them before and I really enjoyed them, so thanks! You post and Vivienne's are doing such an important job of identifying songs written by powerful women, or songs about strong women, as often times I feel they get left behind. One song I really like is "Girls Like Girls" by Hayley Kiyoko, Kiyoko addresses sexuality, which helps take the negative stigma off of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe someone actually made a playlist! I have already downloaded it and am stoked to have something new to jam too on the way to class tomorrow. This is amazing Kelsey. I don't have any songs I'd like to contribute yet but I'm really excited to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I'm glad that you took inspiration from my post and presented some songs of your own. Music is such an important part of expression and identity, and it can help release a lot of emotion. These particular songs give us hope that the feminist message will spread far and wide for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vivienne, I wanted to present a side of feminist music that can relate to our course discussion of humor/satire, and it fit really well into punk rock. Expressive lyrics paired with talented musical performance can be really empowering for women, especially ones like me!

      Delete
  4. When I pressed play, I immediately felt so energized! I'm going to search diligently this weekend to find songs that will fit in with the rest of the playlist. I've got 15 songs to go, so I'd better find something quick :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES THANK YOU FOR THIS!! I have exhausted all of the playlists on my Spotify, and yes, I love Rex Orange County but now I know every word to his songs and it is time to move on. EMPOWERMENT HERE I COME!

    ReplyDelete