Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Blog Post 3: Super-Knope and Wonder Poehler



When I saw Amy Poehler on the syllabus, I was truly ecstatic! As a long-time fan of Parks and Recreation, by “fan” I mean I have watched every season of the show all the way through at least 20 times (I swear that is not an exaggeration, to be honest it is probably a humble understatement) and can quote almost every episode, I adore all of the quirky Knope anecdotes and tremendous character development displayed over the span of the show. However, I must say I am a bit ashamed that I have never looked into the actress herself much in the past, and I have never read her book before this course. Amy Poehler’s chapter “let’s build a park” about the time leading up to and during Parks and Recreation was riveting to read, especially when Poehler described the way in which the show was filmed, as well as her interactions with the other actors. I really enjoyed the unique perspective and insight into a show I have watched over and over (and over, and over, and over…) again, and the equally unique insight into the writing process that Amy Poehler herself was directly involved in. Though I have never looked much into Poehler before, I have often wondered how similar the actress herself is to her character on P&R, Leslie Knope.
For those who may not be as familiar with the series as myself, Leslie Knope is a full-time Deputy Director of the Parks Department, she is also a full-time Pawnee (Indiana) enthusiast. She is a great friend, daughter, and girlfriend (and eventually wife, oops), and viewers get to see every one of these sides of her, and many, many more. Leslie has a tendency to be vulnerable and emotional, yet simultaneously tough and crass; Leslie loves people, she loves the government, she loves waffles and a small horse, she believes wholeheartedly in what she sees as The Right Thing to do. This is the precise reason she earns the title of Boss Bitch from her coworkers, though she also earns the title of Bitch Boss. Leslie Knope, like Amy Poehler, is a well-worded author and a diligent worker, she has passions and goals that she whole-heartedly plans on achieving, and she is (capital H) Hilarious. Not only all of this, she is a Feminist Icon.
Amy Poehler, as described in her book, is an actress, comedian, author (duh), creator, mother, wife, and, of course, Boss Bitch. As an actress on SNL, and at the time of writing this book, Poehler worked a demanding job where she would be “shooting twelve hours a day” (x), the kind of job someone must be passionate and diligent to perform successfully. Not only did Poehler serve long, taxing shifts while composing this work, she also had the responsibility of raising “two children under six” (x) alongside her husband, which I believe qualifies to be categorized under “Super-Mom”. Amy Poehler wrote a thorough, eloquent, and humor-filled book “after [her] kids went to sleep…on subways and on airplanes and in between setups while [she] shot a television show” (x), she appears to be a hard-working, courageous, caring individual with insane talent posited within her. Amy Poehler is a role model feminist, as a mother and wife, successful actress and comedian, certified Hilarious Lady and Boss Bitch, author of a kick-ass book, and creator of so many diverse and unique female characters.
As passionate as I am about Parks and Recreation, as well as Leslie Knope herself, it was an amazing experience to be able to learn about the actress and comedian that formed her, as well as the individual who wrote a large portion of her scenes. It is wonderfully reassuring to know that the feminist, woman-supporting Leslie Knope was written and portrayed by an equally feminist, woman-supporting, mother of two, Amy Poehler.

3 comments:

  1. I admire your passion and adoration for Parks and Rec. as I have only seen the first episode and turned my nose up at the show. I found the filming hard to watch due to how the camera follows her. While I watched the first episode of Parks and Recreation when I was in high school and have grown considerably since then in my humor and television show interest, I am curious as to if the filming techniques would still bother me. Everyone's raving of the show in class during the discussion of the show has me curious to go back and try rewatching the show.
    Parks and rec. aside, your writing in this post is so well-worded and has a fantastic flow. I envy your seemingly effortless literary skills. I especially appreciate your comments in parenthesis, as I can imagine this post being read aloud and those side comments being trails off of your initial points and comedic flares to your speaking--it comes across just as humorous in your writing. Maybe after all of the Amy Poehler Parks and Rec. discussions I will finally sit myself down and watch the show. Who knows, but I will be sure to keep the fanatics in class updated on probable spiral into a Leslie Knope mega-fan. How could I not love such a "Boss Bitch"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izzy,
    I am also a Park and Rec fan and never thought about Amy Poehler, the person. She was just another (amazing) actress to me who was able to brighten up my day with her jokes on the show. Upon reading "Yes, Please", I was awaken to the importance Poehler is to Knope and how both women were able to add to each other. I also never realized Amy's participation to the show itself and I feel as if now I can watch the show with much more appreciation for the actress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love parks and rec, although there's no competition here, I'm certain you are a much bigger fan. I started watching it a couple of months ago off and on, and I haven't completely made it all the way through. I was ecstatic though to see Amy Poehlers name on the list because I have seen her talent on screen and wanted to know what her talent would be like off screen. She's obviously amazing, but like you said, its a shame we never think to look past the actresses and check out their other works. I would have never known that any of the famous people we're reading about were also authors, if it wasn't for this class. It makes me think twice about looking at what other actresses I like have produced off screen.

    ReplyDelete