Thursday, January 16, 2020

Getting to Know Sophie! ♪

1. Introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about who you are.

Hello everyone! I'm Sophie Palmer, and I'm a Junior Music Education major with a Choral emphasis. I'm originally from Martinsburg, WV, but I went to Hedgesville High School and have lived in Shepherdstown since my Junior year there. I have moved 12 times in my life so far, and (somewhat annoyingly) the reason my family moves so often is that my dad is a carpenter and my mother is obsessed with interior design. I now live on my own though, so I won't have to worry about the next time they get bored with their house lol.

Here's a picture of my family and me at a recent vacation. We had dinner with our old neighbors from North Carolina, because I've even lived there too! (But it was only for six months haha.) On the left: my dad, my mom, my sister, and her boyfriend; On the right: T.W. and Linda, our old neighbors, Kalob, and me!

Like I mentioned in my "fun facts," I currently have three jobs and a 22-credit-hour load. I work part-time at the Food Lion here in Shepherdstown, I'm the song leader and choir director for the Moler Avenue Church of the Brethren in Martinsburg, and I have my own private piano studio for all ages. 


Here's a goat I met at Food Lion lol.
This is the church that I am the choir director of!
Here is my piano studio logo that I created myself!

(Shameless plug: If you'd like to learn how to play the piano, I only charge $20 per lesson, and lessons are right here on campus. :) Feel free to email me at sophiepalmer99@yahoo.com if you're interested!)

Also, if you all are wondering why in the world I would take that many credits a semester, it is only because I am trying to graduate in four years. The music program is notorious for having "super seniors" who are there for five to six years due to the sheer amount of ridiculous required classes. I promise I am (not) salty about this. :/


Lies

I recently adopted a kitten who is the sweetest and sassiest little thing. Her name is Pepper, which is the name she was given. I honestly love it though and feel like it fits her so well! She's just like a spicy, black Pepper-corn! (Sorry, not sorry for the pun...)




My other pet's name is Kalob. He's 6' 5'' and goes to school here.




He's a good boy...


2. Why are you taking this class? What do you hope to learn or gain from it? (Even if you are just taking it because you need the credits, you should still push yourself to write about some thoughtful goals.)

I signed up for this class because it will fulfill my Honors seminar requirement. Usually, the seminar courses offered are gross subjects like Economics (no offense number nerds, and I say that lovingly). When I saw that a class called "Gender and Humor" was being offered and read the course description, I was so intrigued and thankful that something I'm interested in will count for the Honors seminar credit. My goal in this course is to expand my knowledge further on the struggles that women and the LGBTQIA+ community face and how they incorporate humor to cope with and educate others about their situations. In life, my ultimate goal is to support and understand everyone to my best ability, and I believe that this class will help me do so.

3. What makes you laugh? Who are some of your favorite funny people and why?

This is going to sound sad, but I rarely laugh anymore. It is easy to crumble under the pressure of college and being an adult, and I find myself becoming more and more cynical and emotionless each day. However, I truly enjoy and look forward to the moments in my life when I am able to laugh and feel, at least for a little bit, less stressed. Someone who helps me do this is my boyfriend, Kalob. We often watch funny videos, movies, or YouTube together, which is always a nice break from working on homework or preparing for classes, practices, and lessons. In particular, we love to watch Jimmy Fallon and his creative games, especially the "Mad Lib Theater," "Musical Genre Challenge," and "Wheel of Musical Impressions" ones. 

Please, please, PLEASE watch this one with Jamie Foxx; it is absolutely hilarious! My favorite song in that video is "Bitch Better Have My Money" in the style of opera. Jamie just absolutely kills it! (It starts at 5:20.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVOaGbbsTs

We also love to watch Key and Peele. One of my personal favorites is "Two Church Ladies vs. Satan." It's really raunchy, but I love the juxtaposition of two religious, old ladies cussing out the devil but with their "prayers." I'd attach it to this post, but it's probably too scandalous, oops.



In addition to all of that, I also like dark humor, irony, sarcasm, and improvisational humor. I think that sometimes the funniest things come from an organic place. Perhaps the fact that it is unexpected and genuine is why I love and enjoy it so much.

Thank you for reading about me! :)

2 comments: