Friday, January 17, 2020

Getting to Know Alison

1) Introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about who you are.
 
My name is Alison Stewart and I'm a senior communications major (last semester, eek!).  I'm from Lewisburg, WV. It's a small town about three and a half hours away so when I travel to and from school I get to spend lots of quality time on I-81, which sucks. I live in a tiny farm house that's about 150 years old and it's surrounded by a farm but it isn't ours, so my family gets the benefit of the peace and quiet without doing the work. I live with my dad, Brian (love that guy), and my little sister Lauren (she's okay.) My mom lives about 10 minutes away with my stepdad Bruce. My precious angel of a dog Zibi is a Belgian Malinois. Kind of similar to a German Shepherd but their body is shaped a little differently. He's a big baby, weighing in at a humble 95 pounds. He also loves to play fetch but isn't too good at the "giving the ball back" part. I also have a cat named Tucker, he's kind of tubby but it's just more to love and squeeze on until he gets angry. I love spending time with my family, making my friends laugh, and drinking water.
2) Why are you taking this class? What do you hope to learn or gain from it? (Even if you are just taking it because you need the credits, you should still push yourself to write about some thoughtful goals).
 
I'm taking this class because I've really always been interested in women's issues, most likely because I am one, but especially looking at women in humor, and how we as women use humor. I want to have awesome discussions over the course of this class and get to know people in here. I also want to gain skills to better dissect comedy and maybe understand humor as a coping mechanism (but that's probably more psychology related).
3) What makes you laugh? Who are some of your favorite funny people and why?
I love to laugh, and I love making other people laugh. I like to think of myself as smart so I get some more witty humor most of the time, but my favorite thing is organic conversations that are so funny they make my stomach hurt from laughing. I always think of lunch table conversations as examples of these. I remember some instances in Ram's Den over my college career that make it hard to imagine anything funnier. Some of my favorite funny people are my friends Megan and Katie (who I've known since elementary school), my friend Jana, and my little sister sometimes. Some of my favorite funny famous people are John Mulaney (not a woman but an incredibly funny guy), Michael Che (also not a woman), Ilana Glazer, Issa Rae, and Tracee Ellis Ross. Two of my favorite shows ever (Broad City and Insecure) were written by these ladies and they're so insanely funny. Tracee Ellis Ross stars in Black-ish, one of my other favorite shows and in and outside the show she's just such an elegant goofball, which I aspire to be.

This was kind of long-winded, but I'll end it with a picture of my pup, and good wishes for everyone for the beginning of the semester! I've also thrown in the link to my 8 hour oldies playlist, comment if you have any suggestions I should add. :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to take this class with you because you're one of my favorite funny people. You are well on your way to the elegant goofball status you're striving for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another post that consistently cracked me up. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete