Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Getting to know Sam

1. Sup, my name is Sam Irwin and I live in Hedgesville, WV. I have lived here and grew up since I was around 4 years old. I graduated from Hedgesville High School in 2017 while competing in track and field the entire time I was there. After five years of running track there, the men's team placed first at states. I have one lovely sister, Megan, who is two years older than me. She graduated from WVU last year and is now focusing on her career path. As all siblings usually are while growing up, we would fight and mess around but now that we are young adults, we appreciate the friendship that we have for each other. However, getting to know me personally, I enjoy making people laugh and smile since it is an important value throughout life. In my friend group, I am usually the one that keeps the laughter going but I may seem different on the outside.

2. I am taking this class because it is unlike no other that I have come across at Shepherd. When I first heard about this class, I was with my adviser about to schedule for next semester when I overheard her talk about a gender and humor class with another student. It intrigued me to the point that I just straight up asked her about it and we got the talking that led to this becoming a double minor opportunity. One thing I hope to gain is the overall concept of humor on another level. I feel like I have a good stance on what makes things funny but exploring the factual side of comedy is very interesting. 

3. The things that make me laugh include a various range from long, funny stories to even some dark humor. I strongly love some stand-up comedians that include Bill Burr, Dave Chappelle, Whitney Cummings and Tifanny Haddish. Bill Burr has a podcast that I frequently listen to. One of my favorite shows of all time is The Office because it has a very specific comedy tone that many people do not understand. On YouTube, I have been watching these two YouTubers called Rhett and Link for years now. As far as my friends go, all my friends basically have the same type of humor that we all relate to. Whenever we hang out, its pretty much a roast that could be aired on comedy central.   


This is my sister Megan who is now 22 years old.

My sister and I both own a cat that live in our parents house. The front one is mine and he is called Simba. Behind him is my sisters who is called Jingles. My mom actually came up with the name for both of them and we liked her picks. 


3 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, I totally understand the change in a sibling relationship as you get older. I have a younger sister myself, and since I've been at college, she and I get along incredibly well. I also love the office, and my favorite parts always include the pranks that Jim pulls on Dwight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The sibling stuff rings true for me, too. It's really interesting to watch these relationships change over time.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sam. I totally get the change in sibling relationship as well! I think it’s super cool that you’re into am dark humor because I am as well! Those kinds of people are hard to find! Looking forward to getting to know you

    ReplyDelete