Friday, January 31, 2020

Week 3: The "Myth" of "Never Enough"

It is hard to feel "enough" when subjected to constant competition. I am reminded of this simple, yet devastating fact every time I unlock my phone. As I scroll through the seemingly effortless, calculated glamour shots of every woman I wish I could be, I tell myself that I will never be enough. Yet somehow "I will never be enough" rings throughout the beautiful heads of the women I envy as they envy others "more beautiful" than them. To be a woman is to be sucked deeper and deeper into an endless whirlpool of competition. Sadly, some of us struggle to stay afloat and disappear into the abyss of loneliness and shame born of something we ultimately cannot control. Through examining Tina Fey's Bossypants and Amy Poehler's Yes, Please, I hope to make a statement about the harmful effects of social media on the presence of "not enough" in women's minds today. 
In Tina Fey's Bossypants, she briefly discusses the concept of "not enough" and coins the term, "The Myth of Not Enough," to describe her feelings toward it (87). She claims that competition between women, which is encouraged by society, is actually a myth. Furthermore, she suggests that the true competition lies between "everyone" (Fey 88). While that statement contains a nice sentiment and is valid, I would argue that women are pitted against other women more often than they are seen "in competition" with men. In other words, society has yet to progress enough for competition to be a completely genderless concept. Even if it is not direct, women are competing with each other constantly, and this issue can especially be seen through social media. 
Along with Fey's ideas of "not enough" and competition, Amy Poehler's ending remarks against technology, particularly cell phones, adds another layer to this argument. Specifically, Poehler mentions that one of the numerous reasons she despises technology is that "my phone wants me to feel bad about how I look" (319). That statement directly correlates with this idea that social media aggravates "not being enough." We are constantly being exposed to "things [we] shouldn't see" that make us feel less than (Poehler 320). Personally, I do not need to see picture after picture highlighting extreme wealth and perfectly chiseled bodies. I would like to say, "Good for her! Not for me," but I find myself wishing, "How about for me too?" (Poehler 32). This dialogue is incredibly dangerous, however, as I am comparing my current life and physique to something I will possibly never attain. It is not only being "not enough" in this situation but forever being "never enough" that is so disheartening and harmful to my self-esteem.  
Social media affects women negatively in a multitude of ways, which predominantly include low self-esteem and feelings of worthlessness. However, we may not understand just how much social media makes us feel "not enough." Numerous experiments and studies mentioned in an article from Sex Roles, a feminist, scientific journal, claim that "exposure to thin-ideal media images increases women's dissatisfaction with their bodies" which leads to "eating disorder symptomatology among preadolescent girls and young women" (Perloff 363). Along with unhealthy body image, women remain exposed to out-of-date, stereotypical gender roles "despite decades-long social activism designed to increase gender equality" (Perloff 364). This unfortunate fact relates to Fey's point about competition. It remains a gendered aspect of our society, and the media continues to reinforce this division between genders. Thus, it is "not enough" to say that us women are in competition with men as well as women, because we are still expected to compete with only each other. To argue otherwise is only feeding the "delusion" that we are anything more than "not enough." 

Works Cited 

Fey, Tina. “The Windy City, Full of Meat.” Bossypants, Little, Brown and Company, 2013, pp. 87–88. 

Perloff, Richard M. “Social Media Effects on Young Women’s Body Image Concerns: Theoretical Perspectives and an Agenda for Research.” Sex Roles, vol. 71, no. 11–12, Dec. 2014, pp. 363–364, EBSCOhost, doi:10.1007/s11199-014-0384-6. 

Poehler, Amy. Yes Please, Dey St., an Imprint of William Morrow Publishers, 2014, pp. 32–320. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sophie! This is great. The whole idea of women and competition is fascinating to me, and I'd love to see you write about this more! I agree--social media plays a huge part in this. It gets the best of us. I can honestly say that I'm not someone who cares what people think of me, but when I spend too much time on social media, I START to care. How crazy that something can have that much power over us.

    ReplyDelete