Friday, January 24, 2020

Not Everyone is Going to Like It

Throughout my experiences as a young woman, I've (gratefully) learned the lesson that you can't please everyone. Don't get me wrong, it was not an easy lesson to learn in the slightest. I'm not a very stubborn person, but I do prefer to be right, so some instances I'm wrong in are harder to accept than others. One experience sticks out in my mind of a time I was making plans to hang out with a boy who we'll call Johnny. I'm tempted to use his real name and put him on blast because he DESERVES IT, but I'm better than that so, here we go. I matched with Johnny on Tinder. He was cute, seemed fun, and made music so he had his own thing going, which I admired. We made plans for him to come over to my place and we would just watch movies and have a casual afternoon together. When he arrived, everything was awesome and he was just as I suspected, I thought we were connecting really well. After he left, Johnny had messaged me and said he had a good time, to which I agreed, but a little bit later asked why I hadn't worn makeup or dolled myself up to see him. I was honestly shocked to be asked a question like that, as if our first date was to The Met Gala. Personally, I like doing makeup a lot, and I'm pretty darn good at it, but I was absolutely not going to put makeup on to hang out with a boy IN MY DORM ROOM. I asked Johnny why he'd ask such a (dumb) question and he said the fact that I didn't gussy myself up for him made him wonder if/how well I take care of myself. I was completely in shock, and I was tempted to hit the block button immediately (which I really should've the dude just got crazier). Not only was I disappointed, and infuriated, with how he had acted, I was upset that my expectations of him were wrong. He didn't decide to show his ass until he wasn't face to face with me, what a coward. Now that that instance is behind me, I'm glad I didn't succumb to his stupid expectation of me to put on a full face to spend the afternoon in the place I live. In the end, he isn't someone I want to like me.
Similarly to Fey's I Don't Care If You Like It chapter, I had to look at myself and decide if I was going to be myself or stoop down to please another person (a man no less, disgusting). In my younger years of life (I say that as if I'm not a tender 21 years old), I would take a more apologetic approach to defending myself. Saying things like, "I'm sorry but I don't want to do that." Now that I'm older, I've realized it's not worth the effort to tiptoe around someone's feelings when they're the ones that have wronged me. Also, what a waste of time it is to try to apologize for something that doesn't require an apology. Not wanting to do something for/with someone does not require an apology. It took a while, but I'm finally getting to an Amy Poehler level of, "I don't fucking care if you like it," and I'm absolutely loving every second of it.

4 comments:

  1. You are absolutely correct, we can't please everyone and your self-awareness of just the one situation is so inspired and amazingly written!
    This post has spoken volumes, you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts because I can HEAR you saying them. Also, this is garbage. Who asks this? Excuse me sir, the door is that way.

    I definitely agree that it can be hard to balance other people's expectations of you and your perception of yourself. Sometimes I still get caught up in people's comments, but I've learned to immediately ask myself the question "Is this true?" whenever someone says something about me that I know is inaccurate. And once I've decided that it isn't, I respond accordingly, just like you did. This is an upsetting experience but your reflection of it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, you are the bomb! And you're absolutely right-you owe nothing to anyone. I want to able to say the same things you did, and while I'm not there yet, you showed me that it is absolutely possible to be angry and infuriated without feeling guilty about it. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I hope that it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually gasped when I read what he said to you! Like, out loud gasped!

    Great comments here, too. Nicely done, everyone.

    ReplyDelete