Wednesday, April 29, 2020

5 American Folk Songs to be offended by, cautiously teach, or just not teach at all

Introduction:

For my multimodal project, I created a "look book" of five American folk songs that are sexist and thus difficult to teach. My project was heavily inspired by my Week 6 blog post, "Anti-Feminist Folk Songs." In my reflective essay, I provided suggestions for how to teach these problematic songs, which included simply not teaching them at all, and discussed the implications that teaching these songs may have on young students. In addition, I analyzed the sexism in each of the five songs and cited the value of folk tradition as part of the argument to teach them, albeit with caution and open discussion, to children.
My thesis was, "This reflective essay will discuss the misogynistic implications of five American folk songs, highlighting some of their sexist, underlying messages, and include suggestions for how to still appreciate and teach these kinds of problematic songs to young children" (Palmer 1-2). 
The title and cover of my look book was inspired by the songbook that I selected these folk songs from. 150 American Folk Songs is a text that we were required to purchase for my General Pedagogy course (The Art of Teaching Elementary School Music, basically) and use in many of our lesson plans. Thus, our professor highly recommends teaching these songs, essentially suggesting that they are "wonderful pedagogic tools" and ignoring their issues. 

Here is the cover for this problematic songbook.



And this is the cover for my look book inspired by it.

*Disclaimer: I do not have much in the way of art supplies at my current hideout (AKA my sad apartment), so please excuse the horrid plainness and the staples. :) 

The inside of my look book contains the five folk songs and some "pros and cons" for teaching them. In the pros, there is a lot of General Pedagogy lingo, so I will include some definitions under the pictures.
low la and low sol= solfège syllables
solfège (syllables)= i.e. "do re mi" 

Again solfège syllables describe the names given to certain pitches, which relate to the key signature. 

interesting rhythmic passages= just a fancy way to say there are hard rhythms in these songs 
more culturally diverse origin= an Afro-American game song 


In case you couldn't see the songs very well in those pictures, here they are by themselves.

What I did:

I already discussed my process briefly, but I first selected five folk songs that carried underlying sexist messages. Then, I wrote a paragraph for each song analyzing the sexism in them. Finishing out my reflective essay, I mentioned the possible implications teaching these songs could have on young children and how to avoid the perpetuation of outdated ideals, which included either not teaching the songs or having an open discussion about them with the students before teaching. I used the value of folk tradition as a reason to teach these songs but still strongly suggested that they should be taught cautiously. By doing so, I reinforced my thesis for the reflective portion of my essay. Of course, I completed the entire project by then assembling the look book. 

"So what?":

So, my project is important, as the education of our children is incredibly important. Young students absorb information like sponges, so we, as educators and parents, have to be very careful about what our students are being taught and how. While folk tradition is something that should be appreciated, it needs to be accompanied with a thoughtful discussion so that we can avoid the perpetuation of sexism as much as possible. Personally, this project has helped me learn to value these problematic folk songs, even though I really did not want to, and think about the most beneficial way to teach them to students. It was not an easy feat, especially considering songs like the last one, but I came to the conclusion that it is still possible to teach them in a constructive way without furthering their sexist beliefs in the minds of children. If we can lessen the stereotypes and offensive ideas children learn as they grow up, even a little, then we should do everything in our power to. We may not want to put in the extra effort of teaching our students this way, with open discussions and caution, but we should. 


That’s what. 

Works Cited 

Palmer, Sophie. "HNRS Reflective Essay- Major Project." 2020, p. 1-2. 
Erdei, Peter, and Katalin Komlos, editors. 150 American Folk Songs to Sing, Read and Play. New York, NY: Boosey & Hawkes, 1974, pp. 7-82. 

9 comments:

  1. Sophie, this is really cool! You found something in your own life that was problematic and found a way to fix it, while still making it relevant to the class material. I thought it was interesting that while finding a way to teach these songs in a more productive way, you ended up appreciating them more. I know the easy answer when we come across material that doesn't match with modern societal views is to ignore it or only say it was bad, but I think you have found a way for teachers to help their students find deeper connections with these songs. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elana, thank you! That was what I was going for, haha! Although I sort of hypocritically suggest that not teaching these songs is one way to approach them, I also mention ways to still teach them while hopefully not perpetuating their sexism. It is a tricky thing to do, but I honestly believe that being proactive and having a helpful discussion about what the song discusses is a productive way to teach these kinds of songs to children.

      Delete
  2. I really like this project, Sophie! I love how it relates to your major and career goals, and also presents a proactive solution to teaching controversial material in schools. After seeing these songs, I may not "appreciate" them, but i think learning about them and their messages is important. Banning material has never been effective. Kids have to be introduced to difficult concepts under the guidance of adults who can explain them so that they do not grow up with confused ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Vivienne! Thank you! By "appreciating" these songs, I am more so accepting them for what they are and trying to teach them productively by discussing and addressing their problematic content upfront. It isn't easy, but it's possible.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I had no idea folk songs could be this problematic. That’s honestly terrifying. When I first started reading this post I thought, well if I didn’t understand the problems with these then the kids won’t either, so what’s the problem with teaching it to them? But then as I read more and understood the problems with these folk songs I realized we can’t actually, in good conscious, continue teaching these without explaining to the children why they’re problematic. As important as it is for children to learn folk songs, I’d like to think there are some that exist that aren’t degrading towards women. I would hope so at least. Maybe we should focus on teaching those to the children instead, or dare I say, create new ones for future generations to learn. Ones that are more kid friendly. Either way, this post was really informative and I enjoyed reading it. It’s such a unique topic to focus on and it’s really awesome to learn about. Great final project Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad you also chose to take on a project about music and its role in discussing ideas of gender and humor. It's cool because what you're discussing is the evolution of humor, as the songs become outdated they gain an entire new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cool, and something I really hadn't thought about. It makes sense that some of these songs would carry messages like this, and I'm glad you're taking it head on! I think this will be a really useful tool, and just because something is as traditional as folk music, doesn't mean we can't critique it. If we don't, we'll never get better. Music plays such a big role in child development and culture as a whole, so this was super timely. Really good work, Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this. I have started really considering impacts of movies, books and songs on the child mind and behavior. Since I have been in the education program I have really been taking the time to think about sexist, racist and homophobic content that we don't even realize. I like that you put in cotton eye joe. Which I recently just learned about how it has to do with STD's. But I love that you are really considering how these pros and cons impact the children. Thanks for really diving deep into these topics and how you've seen them within your work field.

    ReplyDelete