Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Gender and Stereotypes in Sport

          For my project I chose to interview some of my teammates, asking them a series of eight questions about gender and stereotypes surrounding sports. Females have had a hard time getting the same recognition as men, especially in sports. My research and interviews reveal the consequences of inequities in sports and the stereotypes people have about women athletes, specifically softball players. Though my teammates do their best to combat both forces, clearly systemic change needs to happen.
            I first came up with the questions about gender divides and stereotypes within sports, and then asked them. Once I had their answers I had them send me a picture and their walk-up song(s). I then put their picture, name, number, year in school, position and walk up song on a slide. Below that slide I put their answers to the questions. In my paper I analyzed their answers and brought attention to the important parts of their answers. My thesis is supported by their answers. They agreed that the gender divide is very clear, and that there are many stereotypes that people wouldn’t even both saying to guys. They also agreed that there should be some kind of change throughout the world, on these subjects. To arrive to the conclusion that we need to see change, I mostly analyzed the last question. The last question was a reflection questions, asking my teammates if they would change the gender divide. 
            My project is important because if you look at the difference between men’s and women’s sports the only thing you should see is that they are men or women. The gender of the person who is playing shouldn’t have anything to do with why you don’t like the sport. Not only that but there are so many things men’s sports get that women’s sports don’t get. In my paper I gave two examples at shepherd about the divide in genders. One of those examples being money based, the other one being based on fans. My project is designed to show the changes we need to see in men’s and women’s sports. It is also designed to show how many stereotypes there is with female athletes, and why that should stop. 
            When I did this project, I learned that that a lot of my teammates have the same views on this subject and feel the same way about it. Most of my teammates said that they would change it if they could. However, one surprise that hit me was when my teammate Leann said, she wouldn’t change it but that she would just want people to respect us more. Even though that is some kind of change its not a change of the entire big picture. 
            This next part isn’t something I learned or was surprised about, however, there was one question where most of my teammates gave me the exact answer I wanted to hear. Question six was about the stereotypes specifically towards softball. For anyone who doesn’t know what the biggest stereotype for softball is, as Nicole put it “Dykes on spikes.”
            My favorite part of this project was seeing what my teammates thought about a subject I feel strongly about. I really enjoyed that, because even though we see each other all the time, these aren’t things we talk about very often. Therefore, I didn’t really know anyone’s stance on these questions. 

17 comments:

  1. Daisy, great job on your project! I loved this topic so much being a retired female athlete. I always knew there were differences between women's basketball and men's basketball, but I never saw the true extent of it until I was in high school. So, thank you for addressing this stigma because it is important to talk about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even as someone who has no athletic ability in the slightest, I can appreciate that there is a divide when it comes to gender and sports. And I think it's interesting that you used Shepherd as an example for this. I was aware that women's teams in general are less popular than men's, but I just thought Shepherd attracted smaller crowds. You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how personal and significant to your life this project is! It's also really creative and cool. It's crazy how female sports are treated as a secondary category of male sports. This problem is practically ignored by the majority of society, and, you're right, we need to fight to change this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you chose this project, and you did a great job with it. You're right, this is so important because the way many (most) female athletes are treated is sad. I hope this created a new type of bond between you and your teammates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the comments above! Great project Daisy, and I love how you related the subject of this course to something close to your heart. It is frustrating even for a woman who isn't involved in sports to see the divide of gender and sports. I know that even the whole idea of being "sporty" is usually an attribute given to men, and when it applies to women, all of a sudden it makes you a tom-boy, it means you can't be feminine, or like you said at the end, it makes you a lesbian. I think that this project speaks loudly to the work we still have to accomplish in abolishing gender stereotypes and finding equality, but at the same time, it is encouraging to know just from your post, your teammates and the comments on your post that we have people who are aware of this divide and want to fight it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this project brings to light the importance of how women being historically oppressed or under represented has affected our society. I like that you focused in on sports. This activity has been male dominated and has male dominated pay and advertising. It’s uplifting to see women like Serena Williams and Gabby Douglas becoming role models that are bringing equity to sports. But they are still facing prejudice. I like that you brought focus to the lack of respect felt by women within sports, it is disappointing to hear that even though there are women talented, capable and willing they don’t get the chance to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's so important that you started your exploration of women's role in sports right at home. The better we can understand our surroundings, the easier it is to formulate big ideas on how to tackle what has been holding us back. It definitely is helpful to know that you are not alone in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that your thesis is interesting and I can tell is something that you are very passionate about! I thought that your collection of data was very well constructed and I loved how you used real individuals that you know personally. I am glad that this topic was put on the spotlight because it is very real and very much not appreciated as a problem as it should be. As a female athlete my whole life, the sterotypes for all sports relating to women is harsh and untrue. Overall I thought that your project was very well thought out and had a clear thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Because of all of the stories and anecdotes we have heard about your teammates all semester, I feel it is only right that they make an appearance again in your major project! I love this idea, and I think it is so important to address this seemingly harmless stereotype that associates lesbians and softball and discuss how it is actually a problem, especially coming from actual softball players. I'm also excited to hear about the ideas of individuals who have not made the journey with us through this course, and see how similar they are to the things we have been talking about for months. Awesome idea, and I am happy you decided to take this project and make it about some of things that matter most to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an interesting project, and I greatly appreciate the initiative you took in personally interviewing your teammates - so cool! Personally, I've thought about this gender divide a lot, specifically in regards to the fanbase and salary-aspect of men vs. women sports. For example, what do you think causes this discrepancy in salaries between men and women? Is it fans finding team men's sports to be more popular, or is it TV producers assuming team men's sports to be more popular, which perpetuates stereotypes? Most importantly, how do you suppose we could fix any of this, besides racing the next generations to hopefully be better? Besides men (supposedly) being able to grow muscles faster, there shouldn't be significant differences between men and women athletically, so how can we help deconstruct these stereotypes? I'd love to know more about what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I found in my research was that men and women are paid differently based on the money the league makes. Since there isn’t as many people who watch women’s sports they don’t get paid as much. Specifically for the Fastpitch softball league (professional) there are 6 teams total. But I’m the MLB there well over 20 if forget the exact number. The softball league doesn’t have the funding to pay for more than 6 teams because their fan base is not big enough. I think that we could fix all of this not only by raising the next generations to know better, but also by educating other people of all ages to know better.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like such an interesting project that brings attention to a very dividing issue. I know you ladies work really hard to be great at the sport you love, and to have the gender divide looming over your head at all times can probably be really frustrating. I look forward to seeing this change in the future, hopefully with help from both men and women's sports fighting for what is right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so cool. I know there's a lot of stereotypes of women in sports. The sport you're in can have a big effect on it too, and I'm really glad you explored this. I'm sure it's annoying just trying to enjoy your sport with all of this in the back of your mind. I think the work you've done is an important first step in not only understanding this divide, but doing something about it. Really good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading about your project. I must say though, I really wish we could’ve had class so you could’ve presented it with the pictures and walk up songs. I love a good walk up song! I also think the divide between the stereotypes about men’s and women’s sports is something that really needs a change. I’m sorry you’ve had to endure these throughout your softball season but I’m really glad you chose to write about them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Daisy! I really enjoyed reading about your project and the way you went about it. I love that you choose something that you were passionate about and were able to talk about confidently and research intensely with the goal of making this project the best it could be. I have always hated the divide in opinions and stereotypes in sports either as close as on campus or as big as professional teams. It doesn't matter who is playing the game, as long as they are good at what they do and are putting 110% into it, that should be the focus, not the players gender. I loved your topic, and I hope you have a fabulous summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daisy, I agree with all of the comments that you did a very nice job and picked an interesting topic! I, too, wish I could see your actual presentation and the PowerPoint you made. The inequality when it comes to women in any male-dominated profession, like sports in this example, is so disheartening. I honestly wish it would change, and I think it is, albeit VERY slowly. Even with equal pay and all of that good stuff, I think it will still be difficult for women to be taken seriously. There are still those stereotypes that are unfortunately active in a lot of people's mindsets today. In other words, I don't think the stigma surrounding women's sports or female bosses will fade easily or anytime soon, due to the outdated opinions of others (mostly men).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm actually in a Sociology of Sport class right now, and what you did for your project sounded so interesting! In my sociology course, gender in sports is a HUGE topic and it's so cool that someone else has shined light on the subject, especially mass stereotypes that surround women in sports. Very well addressed, Daisy!

    ReplyDelete