Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Modern Women Comedians Will Not Hold Back for the Sake of Your Comedic Relief


I wrote a ten-page paper explaining how women’s comedy has evolved in recent years, and how topics that weren’t socially acceptable for women to even discuss a decade ago, they can now make jokes about including sex, politics, fears, trauma, sexual orientation, drugs, mental health, and death. My thesis is about how for years comedy had one sole purpose; to make us laugh. But over the years that has started to change. There has been a major shift in how women are represented in comedy within the past decade. The jokes about these risqué topics can now be told by women all over the world. There are three particular women in stand-up comedy that stuck out to me as pioneers of this ever-changing comedic scene: Hannah Gadsby, Jenny Slate, and Ali Wong. Rules be damned, they are going to change the way people viewed comedy all over the world. They even did so while wearing spandex dresses at seven months pregnant, or fancy pant suits, because they want to be remembered.

What I did for my project was break it down into three parts. I started with Ali Wong because she had more comedy in her segment than the other two women. The most unexpected topic she talked about in Baby Cobra was her miscarriage. Wong says, “ I’m very grateful to be… seven and a half months pregnant, because last year I had a miscarriage… when you’re thirty-three you’ll know plenty of women who’ve had a miscarriage. It’s super common and I wish more women would talk about it, so they wouldn’t feel so bad when they go through it” (50:25-50:57). It’s an unexpected move to talk about a topic as serious as a miscarriage, during a comedy special. It successfully pays off though, and she is able to get her viewpoint across without losing her audience.

This brings me to Jenny Slate, who made it possible to change the entire format of what a comedy special is. The most unexpected thing she talks about in Stage Fright is her stage fright. During a cut scene where it shows her being interviewed by someone, she openly discusses her mental health surrounding the issue, and the intense anxiety she experiences before performances. Slate says “I get such bad stage fright. And it’s not fake humility, I’ve tried to get hypnotized for it. It ruins my day. It fucks my body up, I get like crazy diarrhea” (45:33- 45:49). This is so important because there’s such a stigma around mental health and not conversing about it, but she includes it anyways. Not only does it work, it opens up a channel to now discuss mental health issues openly, and what better way to start than by adding some comedic relief to it.

This brought me to Hannah Gadsby who is, in my not so professional, but undeniably correct opinion, the most important comedic genius to have ever uttered a single word. In Nanette Gadsby discusses, mental health, fear, shame, and her sexuality, all of which are extremely surprising for a woman comedian to talk about, and under normal circumstances wouldn’t be considered funny. When explaining what it was like growing up in her town as a lesbian Gadsby says, “Gays, why don’t you just pack your aids up into a suitcase there, and fuck off to Mardi Gras. Because homosexuality was a crime in Tasmania until 1997. Not long enough ago” (4:08-4:25). She’s joking about it, and we’re laughing at it, but you can see the pain in her facial expression. This is important because it shows how comedians are now using their own traumas to, not only make us laugh, but help them heal, which is relatively new to the stand-up comedy scene. As these three women show us, comedy has evolved enough that you can now talk about the traumatic experiences of your life, but not enough that you can tell the whole story.

My project is important because it shows how comedy is evolving. It demonstrates how women went from not being able to even openly discuss many of these topics, to now being able to joke about them. This is especially important, because male comedians have been able to make jokes about these topics for a very long time without any repercussions. Women, however, were not allowed to, and if they did it often did not go over well. These particular women  go even further than some men are willing to by discussing their mental health, miscarriages, and traumatic events from their past.

I learned that it’s okay to be funny and vulnerable at the same time. We don’t have to limit ourselves to one emotion. All three of these women showed us almost every emotion throughout their one-hour segments, and it was beautiful. What surprised me was how much I enjoyed their stand-up comedy specials. I have never really enjoyed stand-up comedy before this class. It may have been because I’d only been exposed to male stand-up comedians. I now know that I do enjoy stand-up comedy, especially from women who know how to be funny and honest.  

My favorite part was getting to dive deeper into each of these comedy specials. I loved learning about what other people thought of these stand-up specials. Often when researching outside sources, I found the authors felt similarly to how I felt about each of the comedy specials. I also really enjoyed getting to re-watch them and laugh hysterically. I’m thankful I was given the opportunity to discover who each of these women are, and experience how comedy has evolved because of them.



Sources:

Karas, Jay, director. Ali Wong: Baby Cobra. Netflix Official Site, 6 May 2016, www.netflix.com/title/80101493.

Parry, Madeleine and Jon Olb, directors. Hannah Gadsby: Nanette. Netflix Official Site, 19 June             2018, www.netflix.com/title/80233611.

Robespierre, Gillian, director. Jenny Slate: Stage Fright. Netflix Official Site, 22 Oct. 2019,

18 comments:

  1. Brittany, I love this paper idea! Your thesis is so smart and interesting, and arguing this topic is the perfect way to close out our semester. It's really intriguing to think about what the world of comedy will look like five or ten years in the future, especially because we're seeing greater inclusivity and discussion of difficult or taboo topics even now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, this project idea was great! It wasn't until this class that I fully understood the differences in comedy for men and women. Even with women like Slate, Wong and Gadsby pioneering for being more open about sensitive topics, I still see people who criticize women for talking about things like pregnancy, sex, relationships, etc... I do agree this was an important conversation to discuss because without talking about it, we will continue to be told no. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Your conclusion is, of course, correct in every way. We shouldn't be afraid to be vulnerable while also being funny. I think that the three comedians you chose to focus on were good choices, as well. What interested me the most about this project was that your comedian choices were all featured on Netflix specials--was this on purpose? Are they able to speak their minds because they are going to be featured on a major platform? Or would they have done the same set regardless?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn’t do this on purpose, they’re just the three I felt had the most impact on me. I think Wong would have done the same set regardless and that having her special featured on Netflix did give her a little more freedom with her topics. Slate’s definitely would have been different because she wouldn’t have been able to edit in clips if it wasn’t for a platform such as Netflix, where it’s previously recorded and can be edited. I’m honestly not sure about Gadsby’s. I’d like to think she’d have had the same set regardless, but I also think she purposely did it on a platform as big as Netflix so she could reach the biggest amount of audience members possible.

      Delete
  4. Brittany, I love this project. I love that you share what you've learned from this class and I'm so glad you were able to take away such powerful things regarding comedy and empowering women. I agree, it is crazy how much comedy has changed even in just the last decade. Stand-up is a place for women to use their voices not only to reclaim their right to freedom of speech, but to create waves of change. Words are powerful, emotions are powerful and laughter is contagious. I think it is such a powerful way to educate the public on issues and reshape the way people view comedy through stand-up comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You summed up this class in such a great way--your thesis is spot-on. The authors you chose were so perfect for your paper. It's so interesting to think about how comedy has changed in the last decade, and even in the last 2-3 years. I can't wait to see how it continues to change, hopefully to be more inclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to see the evolution you put into this project. It’s so powerful to see how come has changed from time of Fanny Fern. When this comedic writer had to use a pen name to be recognized , and women were stigmatized and arrested for wearing pants. That time period was not so long ago and it’s awesome to see the change we have made to today. I would love to see another project off of this talking about how the women in our prior reading like fanny fern and other influential women of her time created the platform we have today. I think that the comedians you chose all being different identities of women and I like that you too a diverse approach to this project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you chose to out these 3 women together to talk about how women operate within comedy. They each have such unique personalities, but still all know how to cover topics that are relatable for other women. They all are working at the same time to strengthen this mission for shifting the dynamic for women in comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that you tie these three women together beautifully with your analysis by dissecting each of their comedy specials and finding where they connect. One technique that Gadsby described in her special was tension and the manipulation of it between comic and their audience. Some entertainers use it more than others but I think it is an important part of a successful comedian. Though all of these women have very different identities, they each use tension to control the emotion in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the comedians you talked about. You’re 100% correct Hannah Gadsby is the most important comedic genius to talk. She was definitely my favorite so far this year. I love that you chose to go in depth about these 3 comedians. I really like that you talk about mental health with Jenny Slate. That is something many people don’t talk about and I think it’s important that we make it normal to talk about it. This is an amazing project idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I practically envy how well your presentation flowed together! Excellent writing there. Secondly, I love how you broke down material from in our class to discuss your thesis. Personally, I'd like to learn more. In your opinion (or drawn from actual incidents), what sorts of repercussions would women face two or more decades ago for joking about subjects like mental health, their anatomy, death, etc.? And how has this change for women in comedy affected men's comedy? Anyways, I absolutely adore your thesis and I'm sure your major project turned out phenomenally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the main reasons these topics weren’t discussed two decades ago is because women weren’t typically given the kind of platform where they could comedically perform anyways. If they were I think they just knew better than to discuss topics like these, because that platform would be taken away from them. They knew they’d never get a chance to get up on stage again and perform for an audience. I truly think they just knew it was a privilege to be one of the few women who were able to be a successful stand-up comedian, that they just followed the norms of what was acceptable to joke about as a women so they could keep doing it. As far as the men go, I think women like these three have made men’s comedic material seem less important. Like yeah they’re funny, but what else are they? Why watch someone’s who is just funny when you can watch someone be funny and be other things. It almost makes their comedic performances look less substantial because women aren’t afraid to put emotions, other than just humor, into their work.

      Delete
  11. I am so glad you decided to take this approach to this project, we so often talk about how much farther there is left to go when we are discussing women in comedy (or in sports, or politics, or anything). It is important still, though, to talk about how far we have come from the start, because, like you discuss in your project, we have made leaps-and-bounds! These comedians you have chosen are the perfect examples for the points you are trying to make here, and they are all so freakin' funny! Women are emotionally versatile, and we can see the progress while still understanding what needs to be done. Amazing job on this project!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Humor doesn't always have to serve for the purpose of solely making us laugh, you're right! I also agree with Daisy that Hannah Gadsby is the queen of using humor for other purposes. (PS if anyone didn't know... Gadsby has a new special coming out on Netflix next month!) I never even thought about this concept until Gadsby... or if I did think about it, I didn't fully understand it. Your thesis sounds so interesting and made for a great topic for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this. These women brilliantly use experiences that other women can relate to, and use comedy as the vehicle to talk about it. I think it's really helped make the shift you are talking about. I like how you said you've learned it's okay to be funny and vulnerable at the same time. That's something I've had to learn too because I feel like at one point in my life I used humor as a shield. I think your project is a great example of how dynamic women are. Really good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this topic so much to a point where I started applauding this out loud and my sister started looking at me funny XD. I loved how you took three of the most dynamic women comedians we looked at this semester and were able to show the common thread forever linking them together in the comedy world. Their actions will forever change how we look at comedy for women, and I can't imagine how it must feel to be a trailblazer in that respect. If I had to guess though, its probably a mix of bad-ass empowerment and an unshakable fear of the unknown. I know I would be feeling that, but its only an assumption, so I guess I'll never know XD. This sounds like it was a fabulous paper that was researched and written by a passionate writer! I hope you have a fabulous summer and do well on finals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brittany, I loved this post, and I imagine your paper was just amazing! Your topic reminds me a lot of the work that Cameron Esposito was doing with her standup special, "Rape Jokes." Like you said, she was "joking" about trauma, something that women have recently added into their humor. Additionally, she took the disgusting idea of rape jokes from men and reclaimed them for her and all of her fellow sexual assault survivors. It truly is a beautiful idea, and if you have the time and haven't already, I recommend watching "Rape Jokes." Great job, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super good topic that you've discussed here! It really shines a light on how things like comedy have evolved overtime. I really think it's so important that we realize comedy isn't going to always be that "laugh your pants off" place, and that is okay. I wish I could've read your paper because this post was so interesting to read!
    This was great, Brittany!!

    ReplyDelete