Tuesday, April 21, 2020

So You Want to Be a Feminist? : The Playlist

Feminist Terms That Inspire Action - Everything After Z by ...
For my project I composed a list of songs that I have found to be evidence of gender and humor. In total, these songs use interpretive language as a humor-filled catharsis to common gender conflicts. By using distinct literary devices such as irony and sarcasm, these artists can convey big ideas in loaded lyrics. Throughout this semester we have analyzed, scrutinized, and conceptualized what role humor plays in the social order across race, gender, and sexuality. What makes music so influential is that it proposes that gender and humor are best articulated on a platform centered around listening. The more we listen and analyze, we can have a better understanding of the common issues surrounding gender. In addition, with that analysis we can go even further and question what in the human condition prompts us to express these emotions through humor.

Not Your B - Feminist Graphic Art, pop art, vintage feminism ...
My goal was to dive deeper into what humor is for women and how it functions as a reactionary device to patriarchal oppression. For what I considered the traditional essay portion of my project I talked about our homegirls, Gray and Barreca. I discussed how feminism has combined the personal and the political. It is evident that modern feminists have emphasized the concept of breaking the silence in an influential and strategized way. Success has been moderately achieved through the commonality of humor, a fundamental human characteristic we can all identify with. For the second half of my project, I made a little annotated-playlist documenting my thoughts and connections. I arrived at the conclusion that humor has the power to disguise, transform, and enhance gendered arguments, and is essential to breaking down perjorative ideals. What you should take away from these songs is that women can use their humor to fight back against oppressive patriarchal prescriptions for gendered behavior. Female laughter is an extension of our voice, and throughout time it has been monitored, muted, or modified. We can not ignore the fact that the game is rigged, power is corrupt, and our voices are hindered, but we are not typical prototypes. We will not let our pain calcify, we must make our voices heard, from a whisper to a scream.


I enjoyed this project because it allowed me to connect my love of music with my interest in gendered dynamics, especially throughout history. During this process I have learned that analyzing music has brought me closer to what music truly is as an art form. My favorite part was listening to the songs on the playlist I made almost every day to ensure that I really perfected that close read on the lyrics. I was surprised how easy it can be to not get bored with songs that I really love. The creative process really was enhanced by the personal connection I have to all of these songs. It's kind of like my little feminist music diary. Yeah, I think I like that.
Headphones - Brooklyn Nine-Nine GIF - BrooklynNineNine Brooklyn ...

To give you an idea of what we're talking about here, I made a quick list of music video links so it can be easily accessible, but if you would like to hear it in playlist format- here is the link-

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/73g7SYKH61APh76gxvrE5V


I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore | Lucy Dacus
"I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore" by Lucy Dacushttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hQgxgqdo4
Tacocat – Men Explain Things to Me Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
"Men Explain Things to Me" by Tacocathttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGM2tCTpuzY

Courtney Barnett – Pedestrian At Best / Elevator Operator — Song Bar
"Pedestrian at Best" by Courtney Barnetthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds
Is Loretta Lynn Dying? New Details On The Country Music Legend's ...
"The Pill" by Loretta Lynn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y5i9WUwNOg
Rebel Girl - Bikini Kill, bass cover - YouTube
"Rebel Girl" by Bikini Killhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oeqAQ1qE8

Kali Uchis – Know What I Want Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
"Know What I Want" by Kali Uchishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSViNoqvC6s

No Doubt – Just a Girl Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
"Just a Girl" by No Doubthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSwJDJtmPw
Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters an Untethered Masterpiece ...
Fetch the Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple
(entire album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N541HLPeG6Y&list=PL9tY0BWXOZFthbMAh1WrMDEho_wKVSM_1

Hey, how's it going? You've made it to the bottom of the list! What did you hear? What did you think? What would you add? I thought I'd help start the conversation in the comments so we can get a nice little dialogue going. Thankfully this shift to an online presentation really benefited my ability to showcase these songs to you! Thank you all for a great semester. :')

17 comments:

  1. I really like how you said, "It is evident that modern feminists have emphasized the concept of breaking the silence in an influential and strategized way." You illustrated this idea with your playlist; these artists are literally breaking the silence on issues that matter to them, whether it is in a public place or through headphones. The music doesn't explicitly force anyone to listen to it, but the melodies disguise its message so people will listen. This is an awesome connection between your multimodal project and your reflection--great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool project, Kelsey! I really enjoyed making my own list of feminist songs a while ago on this blog, and I'm glad you had the opportunity to broaden this idea in such an awesome way! You make such smart points in this post; my favorite part was when you talked about the way "female laughter...has been monitored, muted, or modified" for a long time. I thought this line was so powerful and valid. The great thing about music is it's an endless source of material and ideas. I hope you keep adding to your Spotify playlist as you hear new songs that speak to your feminist heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey, I loved this project! I definitely found some new artists I like, but I am also happy you included some classics! Like Elana said, I love that music disguises messages for people to interpret at their own level! It is one of my favorite things to do, is to analyze lyrics of songs because I think it allows me to connect on a stronger level to the music. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow music lover, I love the way you took your love for music and related it to comedy and feminism. It is a hard to be a female musician which is a whole issue in and of itself, but these women and many others today are rising above that stereotype and are using their music to convey a message to everyone that women can in fact do anything. Heck, I just love this playlist. I'm bumping to it right now as I write this comment. I think that music is like comedy in that you don't have to force people to get the message in order for it to be effective. People can watch stand-up for the laughs and people can listen to music to fill silence, but when you really break it down and truly listen to the message behind the media, you can find a lot that has to be said. I think that this project was a really successful close listening to the songs on the playlist for their underlying meaning and purpose. I could go on and on...I am going to follow this playlist and I hope maybe you'd considering continuing to add songs as time goes on because this is the perfect blend of genres and ideas that I need when I need a reminder of how powerful women are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant and so well done. I've said this so many times, but I love when you blog about music! Currently listening to this playlist on repeat. I love how vocal these women are in the music, in the subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really what made the close read of the lyrics so complex. The layers that start to appear as you listen are just fascinating. Yes they really are subtle and not subtle at the same time.

      Delete
  6. I adore this project. Music is such an influential platform. Music is a way to have people
    Listen to messages they may not agree with and support but love to listen to because of the sound. It’s an interesting connection to see how people have used music as a platform to make change. Music is a beautiful art form that nearly every person has invested themselves into. It’s throughout the world, and that makes it one of the most universal languages. We can use it to share , connect and become whole. It’s fascinating to see how music has become full of
    Metaphors and hidden messages. It shows how the artists use so much heart and soul into this art. I love to hear from women artists and connect with them
    Over their messages because they speak from the same place as me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting idea! I love your concept and I personally find it very unique and ties well with what we have learned in class. Humor and music are both platforms that people feel like they can express their views and opinions. For women, this allows them to be artistic in the way they express themselves without coming off as "too harsh" to the public. It gives more comfort to the individual who is performing and allows them to truly open up without directly saying what they think. Overall, I think that your project was very well thought out and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly love this project idea. I think it’s pretty amazing that there’s a list of songs out their like this. I also really like the songs you chose for this. I think this playlist is truly beneficial to society and their views on feminism. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was waiting for someone to have a musical-feminist project, I'm so glad you get to share it with us!! Using this to discuss the multi-faceted use of humor for women is genius, as I think many of these songs would fall flat (in getting their message across) if it were not for the use of humor to draw listeners in. I mean, when you said "female laughter is an extension of our voice", it took my breath away. So smart, and so very true. I have only heard a couple of these songs, so I can't wait to go binge-listen to them all (probably amongst a solo feminist-rage dance-party)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks like such an incredibly fun project! And I'm glad you learned more about gender and humor in music at the same time. For me, I find it super cool that you included some music that you listen to regularly, so we also get the inside-scoop on what music you enjoy. Also, like Izzy mentioned, I'm glad you were able to incorporate elements of this class (gender and humor) with music! Besides little pop culture references in some of our readings, we never really got to dive into music into this class, so thank you for your project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "We will not let our pain calcify, we must make our voices heard, from a whisper to a scream." WOW. I love this project for you, especially given that it goes along with many of your previous blog posts! I've loved learning about women using humor to amplify their voices throughout this class. I love the spin you put on it by diving into the music sector as well, as multiple people have already mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cool idea!!! I was really excited to see Kali Uchis on here, I love her. I also really love the emphasis you put on how powerful music is. Artistic expression is very powerful and I think you did very well with this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this so much! I’ve been waiting for this post ever since you made the Spotify playlist, which I listened to and loved! I think your “little feminist music diary” is a perfect way to put it. If that didn’t have me sold, the Brooklyn Nine-Nine gif did. (It’s one of my favorite shows). Seriously though this is amazing! I think it’s just the kind of empowering music we need in a time like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right off the bat, I just want to say that this line, "We will not let our pain calcify, we must make our voices heard, from a whisper to a scream," made me pass out from the sheer amazing-ness of it and then come back with a vengeance for life! Anyways XD I loved this topic and your analysis of music as an art form for comedy. I have always loved the way music can help me in times when nothing else can, and this post was absolutely so phenomenal to read. I have already liked the playlist and I doubt there will ever be a time that I won't listen to it and remember this class and this analysis. Truly a fabulous post and I hope you have an amazing summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kelsey, this post about your project is absolutely lovely! What you included here was very well-written and showed just how much time and effort you put into your project. As a music major and general music lover, I appreciate your playlist so much, although I only recognized one song, "Just a Girl," by No Doubt. However, that means I have quite a few new songs to listen to! And badass, feminist ones at that! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this so much! Music is one of my all-time favorite things and I love the connections you made throughout your post was so interesting!! I've certainly got more music to add to my 3,000 (something) saved songs on Spotify.
    Awesome post, Kelsey!!!

    ReplyDelete