Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Damage an Absent Parent Can Do

I used to be (and sometimes still am, sadly) that girl that always falls hopelessly in love with the bad guy. I've since found and created enough self-love and discipline to ~not~ put myself through the constant cycle of trying to save someone, realizing I can't help someone who a) doesn't want my help or b) wants me only for my help (aka DRAINING), allowing these realities to rip my heart out, and then looking for someone else to save in order to feel some sense of purpose and meaning in the world...but one of the many things I learned through those relationships is this:

Parents don't just love their children by default; that type of love is a choice, too.

It has to do with evolution, maybe. Mama bears fiercely protecting their cubs. Mama eagles spreading their wings to protect their chicks from the cold, the rain, the sun. We would be shocked if she left her egg-filled nest and never returned, or turned and ran the other direction when her cub was in danger. We're becoming less shocked, though, when we do this. When human parents choose themselves over their children.

Is it because we have a choice? Do animals really have a choice in protecting their offspring, or are they just programmed that way? Mother birds abandoning their nests for their own safety when they see a human get too close to it is nature's way of telling us that animals do have a choice, so why do they leave less often than we do?

Is it because the threats are different for us? We don't need to protect each other from predators anymore (as I typed that, I realized how untrue it is, but you get the point). We've moved past survival mode and onto different challenges: poverty, breakups, mental illnesses, bullying. Do these require less protection, less parental involvement?

Maybe, we can't compare a creature who lives and breeds and dies to one who has found a way to fill life with more successes than that. Maybe we shouldn't. Or, maybe we need to. I used to think there was something primal, natural, about caring for your child. Now, I think we may have lost that somewhere along the way. Science tells us that our brains have changed over the last hundreds and thousands of years, but only our actions can tell us what exactly those changes have been.

I don't think unconditional love and protection is something that comes with parenthood anymore. I think that the bond between a mother and her child has the potential to be stronger than any other connection in the known universe, but I don't think that ever happens without a choice. We choose to love our children, or we don't. We choose them based on our beliefs about the world, based on our beliefs about ourselves. We choose to love them when they're born, when they take their first steps, when they go to grade school, when they start taking dance lessons. When they learn to form their own thoughts and opinions and beliefs about the world, we're still choosing. I know this, because this is around the time when some parents change their choice.

I have friends who have been punished, kicked out of their homes, or physically harmed for telling their parents who they love. In a single second, their parents changed their mind. The little kid they held in the hospital, picked up at the bus stop, hugged on graduation...didn't matter anymore. Didn't even exist, in their eyes. Years of choosing "love" broken by a few simple words.

We're supposed to be supreme. The most advanced of them all. But, I'm afraid there are things the animal kingdom is much better at after all.

(P.S. Reading Branum's story about coming out to his parents shattered my heart--that's what this is inspired by. It's kind of all over the place because that's how my brain feels right now. I keep trying to come up with a valid reason of why any parent would treat their child that way, why any person would treat another person that way, and I can't come up with one. I'm sad and angry and confused, but it just makes me want to love people more--friends, and strangers, and everyone in between.)

5 comments:

  1. A really powerful post! I think one of the biggest lessons you learn about/while growing up (and that goes on and on for years, for some of us) is precisely what you talk about here--that "primal" connection between parent and child isn't universal or solid or constant. And the implications of that can be so damaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really great, Aneyla. I can't fathom not wanting to love my child anymore, but some people do it every day. I'm with you, I just can't picture there ever being a valid reason for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a moving post. When you said how you even try to find a valid reason why someone would treat their child the way they do or a person it had me thinking the same way. I myself am going through that right now not understanding what did I do wrong for them not to be proud or understand why the love isn't there anymore and I still cant. I even blame myself at times thinking maybe I can do better, but what could I have done, you know? It's sad and I don't want to make this about me so I wanted to say again, you did a beautiful job. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you've ever had to feel this way. You have such a beautiful heart, and your smile truly brightens my day. We've only had a few conversations, but I always know a smile is waiting for me whenever I go to Wellness Café :) I hope you're able to be proud of the person you're becoming and the way you make other people feel! You deserve to.

      Delete
  4. I used to think that parents loved all of their kids equally, whether they had one or five or more. But then, I realized that love isn't equal, and it really never was. Humans have had favorite kids for as long as our species has existed. The kid who is most likely going to provide for the parents when they are too old to provide for themselves, the kid who is most likely to propagate and create future generations, the kid who is most talented-they have always been the favorites. Anyone who operates at a lesser level can never be appreciated as much. Sometimes, that's not even true-maybe the eldest has no talent, no charm, and no future plans, but they are the eldest, so they are treated so much differently.

    Not loving a child because they are different is something ingrained in humans, and to unlearn that behavior is so, so hard. But it's the right thing to do-not loving your child because they are different just isn't acceptable now. We have the resources to help people accept themselves, but it helps when your own parents actually respect you. It means their ingrained thoughts are no match for the love they have for you. The biology of people's brains shouldn't take over the love of their own children, and I think that is starting to happen more frequently.

    This was a really good post, and I appreciate the emotions you used to really fuel this piece.

    ReplyDelete