Friday, April 24, 2020

Religion and Comedy: A Focus on Islam

Intro/Thesis:

** Here's some context: I always wanted to somehow tie together comedy and religion since both mean a lot to me. With this project, I decided that I wanted to show how comedy can be used to unite people of a specific faith, and in this case I decided to focus on Islam. On the other hand, religious comedy has the opportunity to either deconstruct or reinforce stereotypes surrounding a religion, which I also wanted to highlight. That is the essence of my project! Anyways, here's my intro:

            Comedy has always been an easy method of relating and uniting groups of people. Through laughter, comedians can bond groups of people together with shared struggles or situations, like jokes about traffic or specific political groups or evil bosses. On the other hand, there are subjects less joked about in an effort to remain unoffensive. For instance, the Holocaust and 9/11 are subjects deemed unapproachable in comedy. In this same way, religion has often times been seen as off-limits. Making jokes about a particular religion can sometimes be viewed as offensive in one sense or unrelatable to those outside of the religion. However, there is a growing consensus that religion and comedy actually go hand-in-hand, and this shifting of opinions is best seen through Muslim comedians. Comedians like Hassan Minhaj, Mo Amer, and Ramy Youssef demonstrate that combining religion with comedy effectively unites believers of that faith, yet consequently their humor has the power to reinforce or deconstruct stereotypes surrounding their beliefs.

Tell us about what you did: Talk about your process and/or structure. How did you support your thesis and arrive at your conclusion?

So the first thing I did for my project was create an outline. Here is the original outline:
  1. Introduction
  2. Religion and comedy in general (point out my articles)
  3. Religion and comedy in general (look at Jenny Slate??)
  4. Religion and comedy reinforcing stereotypes (look at article with Jewish comedians and another article?)
  5. Islam and comedy (talk about terrorists and extremists?)
  6. Islam and comedy (Muslim comedians’ responses to that?)
  7. Hassan Minhaj (interviews or clips I find)
  8. Hassan Minhaj (how his special unites Muslim audience members)
  9. Hassan Minhaj (how his special deconstructs stereotypes?)
  10. Mo Amer (interviews or clips I find)
  11. Mo Amer (how his special unites Muslim audience members)
  12. Mo Amer (how his special potentially reinforces stereotypes)
  13. Ramy (interviews or clips I find)
  14. Ramy (how his special unites Muslim audience members)
  15. Ramy (how his special deconstructs stereotypes)
  16. Ramy (episode one – how it unites)
  17. Ramy (episode one – how it DECONSTRUCTS stereotypes)
  18. Ramy (episode two – how it unites)
  19. Ramy (episode two – how it DECONSTRUCTS stereotypes)
  20. Conclusion
I chose this outline because, first, I wanted to talk about religion and comedy's relationship in general, and I definitely had to use Jenny Slate's commentary on cathedrals vs. her synagogue that she went to as a kid as an example. Then, I wanted to dive into the works of three Muslim comedians and how their performances united Muslim believers through common experiences and situations while they also affected their religion's stereotypes for better or for worse. So, I got three comedians and some of their specials or performances, and then I analyzed each performance united believers and also affected stereotypes. Also, I knew I had to separate my 10-page paper into 20 paragraphs in order to meet the length requirement, and I even went over 10 pages in the end!

“So what?”: Why is your project important? Answer the “so what?” question.

This project is important because we never really talked about religious comedy in class. Through this project, I wanted to show how these religion and comedy wonderfully go hand-in-hand. Furthermore, I wanted to show the perspective of Muslims in comedy because this religious group is facing so much unwarranted heat in America today. These comedians talk about all of the prejudice and hate they have received, especially in the years after 9/11, that you laugh and at the same time your heart breaks for them. Still, because of their experiences, they can spread laughter and understanding and hope to their fellow believers that have also faced the same injustice. In the end, I wanted to share the unique perspectives of religious comedians in America today through the eyes of these phenomenal Muslim Americans.

What did you learn? What surprised you?

I was so surprised to hear how these Muslims experienced so much intense hate after 9/11. For example, Hasan Minhaj talked about how, immediately after 9/11, someone called his family and said, "Hey, *insert slur here*, where's Osama Bin Laden?" They continued calling his family slurs before hanging up, and then soon after his family's car windows got smashed in! This is just one small example of the constant fear and hate that these Muslims have to endure as revealed by these Muslim comedians. Even though these three comedians have lived as Americans all their lives, they have still experienced so much prejudice from their country - it's absolutely astounding how much they've been forced to endure.
What is your favorite part and why? 

My favorite part was, first of all, watching all these comedy specials/episodes! I had a ton of fun and a ton of laughs, and it was great entertainment during this quarantine. Of course, my top favorite part was learning about these perspectives. Personally, I'm an incredibly empathetic person, so learning about these harsh, crazy experiences made me feel for these comedians and the Muslims in America. I feel like a better, more educated person after all of this, and I almost wish my arms were big enough to hug all of the Muslim Americans out there at once?? Anyways, writing the project was definitely stressful, but doing the research and learning a little more about the lives of Muslim Americans made it (mostly) worth it.





13 comments:

  1. YES HOLLY I LOVE THIS! I think we spent a lot of time looking at the ways humor and gender go hand and hand, as well as even the roll race and appearance plays a role in the effect on humor, but I agree, I don't really think we every stopped to look and explore the way religion plays a role in humor. I will have to check these specials out to explore more of the way humor and religion play off each other. I think your point about how humor and religion can either support or tear down stereotypes is really interesting. It almost reminds me of the way that women joking about "female things" can either break down these female stereotypes or only further perpetuate them. It is all just very interesting the way humor plays a role in our society this way. Great job! Your project really made me think!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so you know, the specials are "Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King" (Netflix), "Mo Amer: The Vagabond" (Netflix), and "Ramy Youssef: Feelings" (HBO). These specials are seriously so inspiring and truly change your perspective for the better. Also, I love your comparision to "female stereotypes" (I never made that comparison, but it makes me think of what Gadsby said about humor). Overall, I'm glad this project made you think, and I hope you enjoyed my presentation! :)

      Delete
  2. Like Hannah said, I loved this Holly! I never really thought about how humor had influences on religious affairs and groups. This project really enlightened me to the severity of hate and discrimination that the minorities face everyday. We saw from our readings women consistently getting torn down, but it was enlightening to see the representation for religious communities as well. Great job Holly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting and unique way to pull away for the class! I had never thought about the ties between religion and humor, even when we were "in" class, and I am glad that you could give me enlightenment on the subject. In many cases humor can be used as a processing tool like with Gadsby and her many traumatic stories. I am sure that religiously scrutinized individuals could use it in the same way. Overall, thank you for teaching me something new! I loved your project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think religion and comedy can actually pair very well together. Anytime I hear a comedian joke about how ridiculous Catholic masses are I laugh along because I can totally relate. There's so much to question about what goes on in there, i.e. drinking "blood", constantly rotating between kneeling, sitting, standing, and the awkward "peace be with you" with the guy you totally saw cough into it 2 seconds ago. Weird! Humor finds a way to appear in places when there a lot of unknowns to question or rituals that seem silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really original and cool paper idea, Holly! You're right, we discussed a lot of people who are marginalized and discriminated against this semester, but we didn't focus too much on religious discrimination. It's great that those who experience hate crimes for their religion such as Muslims can tell their stories through humor just like other marginalized groups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Holly, even in quarantine you're an overachiever with your paper length! ;) Also, I am really happy you decided to write about this subject, as we have discussed how it is important to you and it is something we did not really get the chance to touch on in class (even though it is a "gender and humor" class, the intersection of religion and comedy is something I have always wondered about). Also, that is such an awful story about the hate that Muslims received after 9/11, I can't imagine how difficult it was to work that into a comedy show! Sometimes we will hear jokes about Christianity, especially from people who were once religious/were raised Christian but have since left, yet we don't often hear the voices of Muslim comedians on a broad scale. It is important to talk about and recognize, rather than just ignore, so thank you for recognizing it with this wonderfully crafted project! See you next semester, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone else. We never explored religion and comedy. This really enlightened me on how religion can go hand in hand with comedy. I love what you did here with this project. It’s unique and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like what Hannah Flach said, "Your project really made me think!" I completely agree with her, so great job on finding such a thought-provoking topic to discuss! Like everyone else, I never really thought about how religion and humor relate, but I'm glad (and not surprised) that you made such thoughtful connections here. Now that I think about it, I had mentioned before on the forums how a lot of comedians we read and watched grew up religious, so there's a simple connection right there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Religion and comedy would be a good idea for a class! This project highlights so many important historical events and gives insight into how the discussion around religion in comedy is influenced. Choosing Islam to focus on made this project all the more interesting. I've seen a few comedians joke about Catholicism, Judaism, and Christianity, but I've actually never heard jokes about Islam. I never thought about it, either! Way to highlight important topics in a project that is meaningful to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, when I saw you were doing a project about comedy and Islam, I immediately geeked out. I love talking about religious humor (not necessarily using religious humor since that can get dicey), so I was immediately interested in your topic. I knew Hasan Minhaj had a Netflix special, but did you also look into his Netflix series? He talks about current issues in the world while also incorporating his own experience as a Muslim in America. It reminds me a lot of John Oliver's show "Last Week Tonight", but Minhaj discusses a lot of lesser known topics. Anyway, I think this was an interesting topic to pursue, since we didn't really talk about religion in the class (as you previously stated). This was really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Cheyenne religion and comedy would be a good idea for a class. It was such an interesting topic to read about and I’m glad you wrote your paper on it, and then subsequently taught us about it. As someone who also loves both religion and comedy I felt like I connected to this on a deeper level. It’s something I wasn’t sure really had a place in comedy but now that you’ve pointed it out I can totally see it. This was a really awesome paper topic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so awesome!!! I've never thought that deeply about the relationship between religion and comedy but this was so interesting. Reading this reminded me that I've been exposed to this stuff too. I grew up in church, and when I was in youth group (high school) we would sometimes watch these Christian comedians. It was kind of strange because every stand-up situation I had seen before was pretty vulgar, but it was cool to see how comedy can be molded to various groups. I'll definitely be checking out some of these specials! This was such a unique topic and you did very well with it!

    ReplyDelete