Friday, April 3, 2020

"Drag her Queen, DRAG HER!"

For this week's blog, I would like to share a video with you guys that I enjoyed watching. Here it goes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXwE7HXGDU

This is a video of a drag queen Trixie Mattel with Vogue doing her drag makeup, which I find very interesting to watch. First, I want to properly introduce Trixie Mattel and her journey in the drag industry. Trixie Mattel is the drag persona of Brian Firkus who is 30 years of age. Mattel is best known for her win in season three of Rupaul's Drag Race All Stars and finishing up in sixth place for the seventh season of Drag Race. She is a singer/song-writer, TV personel, comedian and CEO of her own cosmetic brand, Trixie Cosmetics. Now, I already had the idea of how they do their makeup because I did my own research and have been watch Rupual's Drag Race for some time now. If you have no idea what the show is about, I will give you the quickest run down. Are you ready? Alright, it is drag queens competing to with one another by doing crazy challenges, walking down the run-way in front of judges like Mama Ru (Rupual himself), Michelle Visage, Ross Matthews, Carson Kressley, Todrick Hall in newer seasons and a special guest judge each episode. Once they give their look for that week's challenge, they judge and determine who's at the bottom two and whoever is at the bottom two would have to "LIP SYNC FOR THEIR LIFES!!" It's incredible! Here's a link to one of the most craziest lip-sync battles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-Z2z3Njgg

The hilarious part of it is that Trixie Mattel herself (in the pink latex suit) was in it and I had no idea. Sadly, she went home and "sashayed away" as Mama Ru calls it, but that is what a lip-sync battle would look like. The reason why I decided to talk about Drag Queens was only because of the small connection between "Camouflage and Plumage". In that chapter, I reading on page 43, when he says, "It was at this point in my life that I was first diagnosed as gay. Not by a physician or a drag queen.." In the discussion we had, I remember talking about it and laughing at the fact that he mentioned how he wasn't diagnosed by a drag queen and knowing their energy and how they act, I found it hilarious. Drag Queens, most times, are gay but there are some who just do it as an alter ego and just have fun with it. I knew someone who was in there 30s working with my father in comedy shows and he did drag for his comedy skit and was hilarious. But outside of the comedy world, his life was pretty normal. He had a wife, a kid, maybe more now since it was years ago, but he just liked it because in his mind not many people do that and it's different and it worked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment