Thursday, April 16, 2020

Fond Memories of the Best People Ever


I’m sure from the title you all thought I’d be discussing some important people from my life. Or maybe that I would be talking about my favorite people we’ve read about this semester and listened too. I thought about that. I thought about summing up all of my favorite comedians I learned about this semester, but I’ve already done that. I loved all of them, every last one, and I wrote about almost all of them. I want to write this one about the people who have made a more profound impact on my life, that’s you.  

I found that I had trouble writing this blog post. It’s bittersweet to be typing the last blog post for this class. Sweet because that means the semester is coming to a close, and I’m so ready for it to be over with! But bitter because it also means this class is coming to an end. I have thoroughly enjoyed this class, and it’s because of all of you. I’ve never been in a class where I felt comfortable answering questions. It’s a me thing, I just have terrible social anxiety. I will sweat so much when speaking in front of the class, and presentations cause me to have miniature panic attacks. The ONE thing I am thankful for about having online classes now is online presentations. However, I think I could’ve presented my project in front of all of you and been okay, or at least mostly okay. I still would’ve had to put on an extra layer of deodorant.*

Back to my main point. Collectively as classmates we’ve created a safe place as our environment. A place where everyone feels as if they can open up, say their opinions, and not be judged for them. I love that! It feels like we’ve made our own little weird family. In fact, I enjoyed spending time with you all MORE than some of my own family members. I loved being able to say whatever I was feeling, without having to think about how people would react to it. No matter how different we are, you all just seemed to get me and all of my weird, crazy goodness. You’ve even caused me to fall in love with blogging, which is something I never thought would happen! It was mainly that I loved reading your blog posts though. Most of all, I enjoyed laughing with you. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you aren’t funny. They’re lying, simply because they’re jealous they aren’t as hilarious as you. Each and every one of you are funny in your own ways. 

This class gave me the relief I needed throughout the day, but it wasn’t because of the class itself. I can honestly say if I’d had it with a different group of people, or if it had been taught by anyone else, I would not have enjoyed it as much. I genuinely wish there was a second part of this class being offered in the fall, that we could all sign up for and take together again. I wish there was a way to build the kind of environment we have, in my other classes. The kind of environment where we can all feel empowered, noticed, and important. I’m worried I’ll never be able to have that again, but I’m happy I got to experience it. You all mean more to me than you’ll ever know, and more than I can put into words. I’m not an English major after all, words aren’t always my best friend. You have all given me the confidence to be unapologetically me, and shine as bright (or as dim) as I feel like doing. For that I thank you, and for many other unspoken things. I hope that I get to have at classes with at least some of you for my final two semesters. I can’t wait to see what the future brings for each of you, I am certain it will be nothing short of amazing. I also propose we do a group lunch date when this quarantine is all over with, or at the beginning of next semester when we’re all back on campus. I miss all of your smiling faces!

*Side bar: I switched to a new all natural, organic deodorant. I had read too many things about aluminum in the packaging being linked to a higher likelihood of getting breast cancer. Breast cancer already runs in my family, so I’m not trying to make my odds any higher than they already are. I switched to a brand called Love Beauty and Planet, because I buy my shampoo and conditioner from them and I love it, so I figured why not. Plus, the deodorant was only seven dollars which is about the same price as my regular deodorant. Well long story short, it’s sticky. And I mean reaaaally sticky for about the first fifteen to twenty minutes after putting it on. It’s also sticky anytime I start to sweat. Either I used to sweat a lot and didn’t know it, because I couldn’t feel it, or this stuff just isn’t working. With that said, if you have any recommendations for deodorants that are aluminum free, and under twenty-one dollars, I’m all ears.

7 comments:

  1. Brittany, I have enjoyed getting to know you this semester and I am so down for a group lunch after all of this, I need it! As for your deodorant concerns, I have heard really amazing reviews on the Native brand. They range from $10-$12. I have not switched yet myself, but I am planning on it when I start having some sort of income again! I hope it works out for you and best wishes for all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, I couldn't have said all of this better if I tried. I am going to miss you all so much, and I also wish we could have a part 2 of this class, even if it was only on the blog! This class was so wonderfully crafted, I definitely agree that it would not have been the same if it were made up of anybody different. I'm so happy I got to meet you, and all the others in this class, and learn a little bit about what awesome women (and Nick!!) I get to call my classmates/professor.
    That lunch date sounds great to me, let's set it up when we are allowed to! For now, I wish you happiness and health, and a whole lotta love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...I love this post and the comments, including the weirdly delightful coda about deodorant AND the *immediate* recommendation from Kennedy. If that ain't this class in a nutshell, I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The struggle with finding a natural deodorant is REAL! I'm an organic gal (I've been called a hippie many times, if that tells you anything about my life haha), and a good deodorant has been one of the hardest things to find. Many people like the brands Native, Origins, and Toms, so you could try those. I don't know if I'm just a super sweater or something, but they just didn't last very long for me. I've settled on the Arm & Hammer Essential brand for now, that's better than most deodorants but still not completely natural. I've tried a handmade deodorant multiple times that is AMAZING and consists of baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and a few other ingredients. It actually worked and made my skin so soft and clear, but I was honestly just too lazy to keep up with making it. If you're more patient than I am though, you can find the recipe on Pinterest! I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried natural deodorant for a while but I felt like I couldn't find a good one either. I've taken a break in my hunt, but I've read if you detox your pits first it helps the natural deodorant be more effective. Apple cider vinegar is usually what most people go for. Good luck in the rest of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no deodorant anecdotes but I do share your love for this class and the people in it. It's so bittersweet writing these final posts because I am so thankful that I got to know everyone, but also painfully aware that I'll never connect with another group of people like this ever again. Ugh. Tears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, first, thank you for being a part of what made this class so amazing. Secondly, I make my own deodorant and it is surprisingly easy. Just coconut oil and either cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) and/or baking soda. Baking soda can sometimes irritate sensitive skin. It didnt start bothering me until recently. But just a combination of coconut oil and cornstarch has worked well enough for me. I make it in small batches and mix up my smells a bit with different essential oils, but its natural and great. I just make it in mason jar and use my hands to put it on, but you can pour it into an old container if you have one or buy an empty container online. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete