Thursday, April 23, 2020

Recipe for Comedic Success (and its many added notes)

For my multimodal project, I created a “Recipe for Comedic Success”, which you can see at the bottom of this reflection. My “Recipe for Comedic Success” reflects a reality in the comedy world: what can work for straight white men is not the same as what works for women and other marginalized groups.
I did some background research on the differences between sets done by male and female comedians, as well as who is most ridiculed by male comedians. I read the works by Ali Wong, Fanny Fern, and Phoebe Robinson in order to come up with examples for three main parts to my conclusion.
First, marginalized groups have to be able to tell jokes about the opposite gender differently. In Ali Wong’s book Dear Girls, when she talks about giving birth to her oldest daughter, Mari, all her husband can say to her when she says anything is, “Okay.” It’s a twist on the “she’s just complaining” trope; instead of her complaining about something and him just agreeing to stay out of trouble, he wants her to be happy because it makes him happy. Fanny Fern made her own husband seem disconnected and almost absent from their family. She wanted to make the point that while women are often criticized for “not doing enough”, the husbands are the ones that needed to put in more effort.
Second, marginalized groups have to be aware of preconceived notions the audience already has about them.  Phoebe Robinson struggled with staying true to herself while performing in front of a judging panel. They wanted to piss her off for better ratings. She not only had to maneuver through questions about her appearance, but she had to keep calm in order to avoid making a scene, which would have “proven them right”.
Third, physical appearance matters. Robinson’s performance would be an easy example here, but so would Wong’s Netflix specials. When she performed in both of her comedy specials, she wore a tight dress to show off her stomach. Normally, women in comedy shy away from showing off their bodies in ways that they think are “unflattering” because they want the audience to take them seriously. However, Wong makes the implicit point that if people are going to stare at her, she might as well give them something to look at.
So why is any of this important? Being a part of the dominant group in comedy allows for more freedom in expression, especially in jokes and appearances. When a comedian comes from a marginalized background, the topics and expressions are more limited, but in recent times, these same comedians are defying what is expected of them in order to succeed. This is incredibly important when it comes to diversifying comedy and making the audience feel more accepted. The recipe is supposed to show the expectations of the industry, versus what we as a class already know to be true.
I learned that while being funny in comedy is important, without a purpose, a comedian from a marginalized group isn’t going to get very far. Comparing this to a straight, white man, who only needs to look like he’s alive in order to get on stage (that’s an exaggeration—even they have to go through a lot of trial and error, but in comparison to the journey of a black woman in comedy, it seems a heck of a lot easier. My apologies if this was offensive), it seems that most successful comedians from outside the dominant group have to be driven by something, whether it is a cause or someone in their life.
I was surprised by how hard it was to actually write down some of the notes on the recipe. After taking this class, I didn’t want to even think about what other people in comedy might say to marginalized groups about how to perform. The more I wrote, the angrier I got, which I guess was the point.
My favorite part of this project was the research. As someone who despises research, the sources I read were actually really interesting. 

Works Cited
Balirano, Gisueppe, and Delia C. Chiaro. “Queering Laughter? It Was Just a Joke!” De Genere: Journal of Literary, Postcolonial and Gender Studies, no. 2, 2016, pp. 1–9., www.degenere-journal.it/?journal=degenere&page=article&op=view&path%5B%5D=45.
Boym, Nina. “Aunt Hetty on Matrimony.” The Norton Anthology of American Culture, by Fanny Fern, 1820th-1865th ed., B, W.W. Norton, 2012, pp. 907–908.
Robinson, Phoebe. You Can't Touch My Hair: and Other Things I Still Have to Explain. Plume Book, 2016.
Wong, Ali. DEAR GIRLS: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets and Advice for Living Your Best Life. Random House, New York, 2019.

17 comments:

  1. Elana, I love this idea of creating a "recipe" for female 'success' in comedy. I would really be interested to see how these recipes would differ if it was for a gay comedian or for a male comedian. I am almost certain the dynamics would be completely different, especially for the appropriate jokes to tell. Once again, I love this project and you did a great job diving into the analysis of female comedians and their content! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kennedy, I was originally going to do separate recipes for different marginalized groups, but then I realized how time I actually had left and decided to just focus on women in general. I also wanted to write different notes for even more groups on just this recipe, but then I thought it wouldn't be as effective than if it were separate. But I definitely kept this in mind!

      Delete
  2. Cool project, Elana! Reading your recipe made me mad too because everything on it is a frustrating reality for women in the public eye. I love how sarcastic and scathing your recipe is; your own opinion on the ridiculousness of how women are treated in comedy (and everywhere else) is very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has me cracking up. I'm reading it in your voice in my head and I can just imagine you laughing as you read this because it is just kinda absurd what is expected of us as women. What really got me is the part about eyeshadow, "If you don't cover your face in makeup, people will think you're trying to over throw the government" oh manI a still laughing about that. I also love the way you made the paper look aged to support the way that these ideals have kinda been passed down from generation to generation. Great job on your final project Elana!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I definitely laughed while I was writing not only the notes, but the main recipe! None of this is stuff I would say seriously, so finding the strength within me to continue was tiring, to say the least. And I knew right from the beginning that if I was going to do a recipe, it had to look aged. Why? Because every recipe that has been passed down in my family is written on old paper, and it doesn't seem right to not make this recipe look as old as it is.

      Delete
  4. I really like that you went there with the subtle irony of making the rules for female comedy in a recipe format. I think you can play around a lot with sarcasm when pairing the two together. I think this really does represent the go to techniques like irony, sarcasm, self deprecation, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative topic! I loved the idea for building a recipe to be successful in the comedy world since it allows you to express humor in it as well, like you have done. In particular to the ladies you discussed, Wong really has thoroughly thought out her performance. Like you said, she wore the tight dress to emphasize herself as a woman in comedy who is also on the verge of going into labor. It truly shows her intelligence and confidence in the world of comedy and I am glad that you brought that to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this project is so genius! The fact that the notes for women contradict almost everything the actual recipe says for men is a statement within itself, it reminds us that our society still has a long way to go in the equality-department. And I think it is so funny that you got mad while creating the recipe, as I would have, too! I got mad just reading Phoebe Robinson's story with the judges, I can't imagine having to try to put myself in that person's mind. This project is hilarious, sarcastic, and brings sexism in comedy to the conversation in an undeniable way. Really wonderful job, Elana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this project is both hilarious and interesting. Your background research is very good and true. The recipe made me laugh so hard I mean, the side comments for women... how could you not laugh? I feel like this project was perfect for your personality. I can hear your voice the whole way through it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elana, this was such a cool idea for a multimodal project! I love your use of footnotes on the recipe, which mirrors a lot of the authors we read this semester. Not only is the recipe hilarious, it is also very well-written and true! Your tone throughout the recipe is just wonderful, and I agree with Daisy that it is very much you. The time, research, and effort you put into this project really shows! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, I didn't even realize that I was using the footnotes in a very similar way to a lot of the authors we've studied until just now. I know that saying this was unintentional sounds absurd, but I think somewhere in the back of my mind the idea was planted; when I thought about how to start this project, I immediately thought of footnotes, but for some weird reason, I couldn't figure out why. Now I know lol :)

      Delete
  9. This is such a creative idea! I agree with Sophie that the footnotes really make the recipe great. Even though reading it makes me feel so angry with the way that things are, it also made me laugh and want to change the way that things are. It's a great use of humor while also being super accurate. This was a super fun idea and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^This comment was from me, I have no clue how I got logged into Steven's gmail but it wouldn't let me change the name until I switched browsers and had already sent the comment, oops!

      Delete
  10. Man oh man, your project is speaking the truth. Reading your recipe, it's so clear what double standards and higher expectations exist for women and minorities in comedy. It seems like men are able to dress, behave, and joke about whatever (as long as it punches down), but women at least have to look nice, act nice, behave in accordance with the unspoken laws in place. It's like that chapter in Robinson's book with all the rules in place for women in comedy (ex. can't talk about female anatomy or female problems because not everyone finds that funny... but anyone can joke about dicks and what have you??). Overall, thank you for summing up a lot of the injustice we've gone over in this class, and I hope it all sticks with us and empowers us to rage against these expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Loved This! The expectations for women comedians are ridiculous. I touched a little bit on this too I’m my final project, about how women are expects to have a full face of makeup, their hair done, and wear fancy appropriate outfits (aka dresses and heels). It’s so stupid. Your project however is genius. Like you, I found myself getting angry as I read the side notes, but I also think that’s the whole point. Maybe if we get angry enough about it we can change it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a unique idea!! You also executed it so so well. I loved the notes that pertained to if the comedian happens to be a woman. It shows how absurd these little checkboxes are. I think this was very appropriate to all we've talked about in class. I really enjoyed reading about it! Again, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas from SWEDEN about a spell caster named Dr. tunde. I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. tunde helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. tunde for help. Dr. tunde assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. tunde did for me. Contact him today via E-mail:(babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail.com) OR call him or whatsapp him +2348143581382 if you seek his help. Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE

    ReplyDelete