Sunday, April 26, 2020

Comprehension Through Conversation


Intro and Thesis: With my project I wanted to showcase many voices at the same time. I decided to make three collages out of words from the books we read and the stand-up specials we watched throughout the semester. The three collages I made are based around the themes of motherhood, gender, and societal expectations of beauty. We have preconceived notions about these themes because of the way we were taught to look at them by society. In my project, I argue that only through candid conversation about neglected aspects of humanity can we allow true understanding to take shape. Society may try to construct a singular consciousness, but if actual people have actual conversations, then comprehension and tolerance between even the most different people is possible.
Poster 1: Motherhood

Poster 2: Societal Construction of Beauty

Poster 3: Gender
What I Did (Process and Structure): I started my project by figuring out which authors I was going to use for each theme. I used Poehler, Fey, and Wong’s books for the theme of motherhood; Branum’s book, Holmes’ book, and Gadsby’s stand-up special for the theme of gender; and the books of Poehler, Fey, Branum, and Kaling for the theme of societal expectations of beauty. After separating these seven authors into my themes, I re-read the authors’ material and cut out sections of their writing that fit into each respective theme. Once I had enough material, I collaged the sections of writing into images that I drew on large posters. There’s an image of a pregnant woman for the motherhood collage, an image of a woman looking into a mirror for the beauty standards collage, and standard representations of gender in a thought bubble for the gender collage. All that was going through my head as I thought about my project was the concept of ideas taking shape. I was obsessed with making a visual representation of stories combining to form a cohesive whole. By bringing all of the selected material from each different writer together, I made a unified picture out of all of the stories.
So What?: I took a lot of inspiration from an anonymous coalition of female artists called the Guerrilla Girls. The Guerrilla Girls made intriguing and often shocking posters to bring awareness to gender and race discrimination in the art world. I wanted my posters to make an impact on people who saw them. Similar to the Guerrilla Girls’ posters, my posters are a commentary on issues of exclusion within society. The stories I showcase on my posters (miscarriages, hate-crimes, shame over physical appearance, etc.) are typically excluded from everyday conversation. Because I put the stories on display rather than refusing to acknowledge them as much of society does, I proved that these stories are necessary to the public consciousness. Though it sounds like an exaggeration, communication and the sharing of stories is so important to the existence of humanity. The collaged stories symbolize the many conversations that allow understanding to form.
What Surprised Me and What I Learned: I was surprised by how many similarities I saw in the stories of all of the authors. It really opened my eyes to the comfort shared experiences can bring to people. It’s clear, though it may sound trite, that we are all so much more alike than we are different. I essentially made the authors I chose have a conversation by gluing their stories together and, through this, I learned that conversation is even more important than I originally thought it was. Conversation is, in fact, key to connection and human life itself.
My Favorite Part: The part I enjoyed the most about this project was drawing the images and collaging the sections of text. I liked challenging myself to find creative ways to represent the themes, and I’ve always loved making art. My favorite poster is the one with the theme of beauty expectations. I think this one is striking and beautiful, but also unsettling. 
I've really enjoyed our classes this semester, and I hope everyone has a great summer!

28 comments:

  1. Vivienne, this is breathtaking. I love the idea of using the author's texts to have conversations with each other indirectly. I also loved that you made these posters, because as you said you are making light of the topics that are so commonly shamed in society. You did an amazing job with all the poster! I think with all the creative pieces we have done as a class, it would make such a cool art exhibit. Great job, and have a great summer as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Kennedy! I'd definitely go to an art exhibit showcasing our class' creativity!

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. The process behind this project is absolutely brilliant, and your delivery is stunning as well. I would've never thought to do something like this, but I learned so much just by looking through the pictures you shared. I feel like you could continue with this project using other books/authors if you chose to! I loved looking at these so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aneyla! I really enjoyed making the project, so maybe I will continue! I do like a lot of authors/books...

      Delete
  3. This is amazing Vivienne. I actually JUST learned about the Guerilla Girls and this project is definitely succeeding at channeling them. Using words from the authors we read is such a smart move. I agree with Kennedy that this would be a cool exhibit. I'd definitely go! These posters are so cool and I cannot stop staring at them and reading the pieces you chose. This might be my favorite project so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea you were so artistic Vivienne! This project is amazing and I love the way you used text throughout them. To me, the use of your text symbolizes the way the words shape us, our thoughts, and what we see. I'm not sure if that was exactly what your intent was (I know you wanted to make a visual representation of the ways stories combined into a whole), but think your art just speaks in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Any interpretation is the right interpretation! I'm glad you found your own way to look at the collages :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, I'm impressed! I like how you used more than three authors' works overall since every author has a story to tell; it would be impossible to highlight only three authors for a project like this. You found three topics that were central to the works we read this semester and found a way to highlight them. And I agree with Kennedy about these collages belonging in an art exhibit--they all connected to each other, but are also able to stand on their own. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Elana! I agree, every author has a story to tell.

      Delete
  6. WHAT A SPECTACULAR PROJECT!! Vivienne, you have really outdone yourself. I love that, in the motherhood piece, the last definition specifically says that this is "no longer the sole option in life for a woman", because it definitely was the only option women were allowed for way too long. I also love that the collage piece with the largest text on that artwork is talking about having the "Angelina Jolie of vaginas". Again, trying to break the angelic stereotype associated with mothers. I think it is so important that, in the expectations piece, you put "-Society" after the quote, letting the viewer know that it is not the woman herself saying this but rather society telling her that she must subject herself to pain to be beautiful. Finally, hell yeah, gender does not exist. This is an amazing project that delivers an important message, and you absolutely reached your goal of making these seem like individual voices coming together. You know I love you always, and I love this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy, you are so sweet as usual. Thanks so much for your kind words, and I'm glad you like the collages! I've loved getting to know you better through this blog, and I hope we have another class together in the future!

      Delete
  7. Vivienne, this project really surprised me, but in a totally good way, haha! I had no idea that you were so artistic either, but it makes sense with how creative you are with your writing. Similarly, the presence of text, from the books and specials we read/viewed in class, was such a cool touch and definitely strengthened the arguments you were making with these pieces. They are all amazing, but I especially love the first poster, as the text and shapes are very striking in that one. I can't even imagine the amount of work and time that went into this, so I am just overall so impressed with your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely took a long time to do! Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. I think this is a really interesting project. I love the artwork a lot and the images and people it portrays. It does a really good job of contributing to the class conversation. Like some other people have said I love that you chose more than 3 authors because every author we read and other authors as well, all have stories to tell. Amazing work on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vivienne, this is stunning! I would’ve never thought to do a collage, but it works so well! You put these intense words inside of these beautiful images, and it brings them to life. I must say though, my favorite one is the motherhood one. It’s so beautiful and it truly shows the unrealistic expectations that surround motherhood and the mom shaming that goes along with it. Both of these are so important to talk about it and you gave them a voice in such an artistic way. This is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motherhood was the first theme I thought of when I was trying to encapsulate our semester in just a couple themes. I'm glad you like it! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. My favorite is the 2nd one, the composition is so complex and unique. I love how you depict body dysmorphia in this interesting way. The collage works really well un illustrating those ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your collages are absolutely beautiful. I think that you tied what we learned from class to the rest and more information together in a very artistic way. I also enjoyed the specific quotes that you used and thought that they were good examples from the sources. Overall, I loved your project and I appreciate you doing such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, this is perfect - you managed to effectively sum up 90% of our entire semester with three beautiful, meaningful displays! A) Your artistic ability is amazing, B) the concept of your project itself is so beautiful and meaningful and important in today's society, and C) your execution is flawless. I'm so happy that this project was made and made so well at your hands - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those posters are so incredibly phenomenal that I'm still speechless after being able to witness them and their impact. The use of the writing we read in class and making such amazing art pieces that elicit such emotion and introspective thought for the viewer is simply amazing and I honestly don't have the words to express how awestruck I am after seeing these pieces of art and reading about your project. I loved this so much and I am so proud of how you were able to do this even with everything going on. I have loved being in class with you and hearing your thoughts on the readings we did, and I hope you have an amazing and wonderful summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kristina! I hope you have a great summer too!

      Delete
  14. I really love how powerful a visual representation can be. For those that can view and comprehend artwork or visuals can almost put themselves within the work to feel apart of it. I love the pregnant woman collage. The figure it beautiful. I also like that you took so many courageous women as sources for your project. These women are all stepping outside of norms and trying to make a difference. I am happy to see you capturing that and putting it on display. I would love to see more of these, maybe ones concerning sexual orientation or race. So incredible!

    ReplyDelete