Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Words That Hurt Us


For my project, I decided to make 10 digital portraits of female comedians and classmates, paired with oppressive insults they have received personally. This idea is centered in the concept of linguistic reclamation, or taking back hateful words as an act of defiance and self-love. The portraits I have created for this project are meant to be that act, solidified.
(I am including all 10 portraits below, hopefully this doesn't ruin the quality of them, but if it does and you would like to be sent a better quality version, just let me know!)
Elana


Kelsey 

 Aneyla

 Daisy

 Hannah Gadsby

 Holly

 Kennedy

 Phoebe Robinson

 Tina Fey

Vivienne


The portraits were completed before the writing portion of my project, partially because my mini-essay dealt mostly with the visual details of the portraits. Starting out, I first collected pictures of the volunteers from our class and of the famous comedians, some of which I had chosen because of specific quotes using oppressive language from their blog posts. The only stipulations for the pictures of our classmates were that it had to be a picture of themselves that they liked a lot, for one reason or another. By doing this, I have support for my argument of pairing an oppressive insult with a portrait that represents confidence and self-assurance. After making the digital portraits, I began on the writing and research portion of my project, where I found a few interesting sources about the history and/or present day usage of linguistic reclamation. For example, we have been using the word “queer” in this course to refer to members of the LGBT+ community in a generalized yet respectful manner, there has even been a blog discussion on non-LGBT+ people using this word specifically, but for a very long time, this word was used to oppress gay people. This is my overall goal with this project, to take the words used by others to oppress women and turn them around, pair them with a confident face, and let the world know that those words no longer have the power over women that they once did.
I believe this is important for many reasons, but to say it in the broadest sense, I believe this project is important for the same reasons that refraining from self-deprecating humor is important. The tools that our historically patriarchal society has used to oppress women and gay people have become normalized, even traditional. By doing the things that Hannah Gadsby talks about in Nanette, by not giving in to the internalized-misogyny/homophobia-is-funny ideology, we are able to gain back the power that has been withheld from us.
I learned a few things throughout the span of creating this project. First of all, I should admit, I initially wanted to do this project because I had just gotten an iPad and Apple Pencil to make digital art and I wanted to see what I could do. I am thankful I did, though, because I learned a lot about creating digital art in the process, and I was able to personalize each of the portraits so that the words could have certain effects that would emphasize their oppression and negativity. I also learned a lot about my classmates, which was really wonderful and made my performance on the project even more important to me. I don’t think I was surprised by much aside from my classmates’ willingness to participate in the project, as well as their positive reactions when I showed them their portraits in the draft stages.
I would have to say that my favorite part of this project was the actual creation of the art, and how involved my classmates were in that process. Dr. Hanrahan was always very supportive as well, when I met with her to show her my progress, and this involvement by both Dr. Hanrahan and my classmates motivated me to make these portraits as perfect as I could. I am happy to be able to create several artworks that you all can understand, and hopefully appreciate, alongside me!


14 comments:

  1. Izzy, I have loved this project since you first told me about it! Your artwork is stunning and you should be so proud of your results, they look phenomenal! I also love the message you have created by doing these projects, that everyday women get beaten down everyday. Once again, I love these so much and I just want to say great job, not only on the art but also on the analysis you drew! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to Kennedy, I have been looking forward to seeing your complete project since you first talked about doing it! I'm so honored to be a small part of this beautiful project! Your portraits are stunning, and they really show off your artistic and creative talent. I love the idea of linguistic reclamation because it's so clear that words have the power to destroy and rebuild depending on how we choose to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH. MY. GOSH!!!!! My jaw hit the FLOOR when I opened this post. I genuinely think my whole day has been made seeing this art. It is such an interesting juxtaposition of such beautiful art and such hateful and degrading words. I love this concept!! Ugh. I think I might cry. This is just so powerful and I love this so much Izzy. I hope you're able to continue with this. I just imagine someone doing this as their AP Art portfolio and the powerful message that could send as their concentration. Man, we thought humor was powerful at spreading messages? LOOK AT THIS ART. Oh man, I am just floored Izzy. Amazing job. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can really tell you put a lot of effort and time into making these digital portraits. They are composed very well and the message is very clear just looking at it visually. That is not easy to capture as an artist! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Izzy you are so talented! Though you could have left your project at just comedians we studied, I loved how you included our class into your project. It definitely helps to unite us as individuals and women. I'm glad that you enjoyed your project and I can tell that you put so much effort into the artwork and planning them. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for your support and appreciation of this project!! I had no idea it would be so impactful, but I am very happy you all enjoyed it! Maybe I will have to keep this project going and make more portraits...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Izzy, I loved this project. It really does portray how hurtful words can be. I also love how you took the pictures sent by us and made them your own. The art work looks really amazing. I’m so grateful that you chose me as one of the people to be apart of your project. I’m truly amazed by what you did! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Izzy!!! Your art is so gorgeous! I absolutely love this concept, and seeing these women reclaim hurtful insults and take back their power is so beautiful! You are so incredibly talented. Not only was your artwork great, but the argument you made with them and what you've included here in this post is also very inspiring and well-thought-out. You did an all-around amazing job, Izzy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so on-brand for you and I love it. Sitting next to you in class, I always admired your bullet journal & how much effort you put into it. It was always so artistic! I was so excited to see what you had done for a project and this did not disappoint. I love this so much. Reclaiming these hateful words is such a boss move. The art is also INSANELY good. This is such a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A) Your portrait of me is STILL my home screen on my phone and STILL inspires me to no end. :D
    B) I love seeing your work on other classmates and on comedians we've read this semester. It reminds me how women and LGBTQ+ members (and other groups of course) can all be brought down by these hateful remarks, and yet we can use these comments and redefine them and grow instead of being brought down. Your art and your project truly inspires me to deflect these deprecation I hear, and I hope other viewers feel that empowerment, as well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, AHHHHHH!!! THIS IS GREAT! You are so freaking talented! Second, I don't know if this was intentional, but I noticed that the first thing I saw in each of these pictures is the comedian and I almost have to look for the criticisms. It's almost as if people don't see the negative comments we get told, but we do. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummmm, THIS IS AMAZING! I really hope you continue to make portraits like these because you are soooo good at it! I love the idea for this project. I love that you took the negative words that have been thrown at all of these strong, beautiful women, and reclaimed them in a way that empowers them. This is truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so incredible. The portraits are so powerful and it really shows how prevalent comments like these are. These comments are so easy to use to tear ourselves down, but I think what you've done is shown how we can get past these hurtful words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas from SWEDEN about a spell caster named Dr. tunde. I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. tunde helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. tunde for help. Dr. tunde assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. tunde did for me. Contact him today via E-mail:(babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail.com) OR call him or whatsapp him +2348143581382 if you seek his help. Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE

    ReplyDelete